Forums » News » StepMania 5.1 Beta 1 released

The StepMania project is proud to announce the release of StepMania 5.1 Beta 1; this is the first publicly-released beta build based on the "5_1-new" branch (see roadmap update for details), so it is significantly different from the previous alpha builds named "5.1" that were released in 2016.

StepMania 5.1 focuses primarily on internal enhancements, especially for content creators (including but not limited to controller support improvements, support for custom songs in profiles on USB drives, fullscreen improvements on X11, a large number of new modifier effects, and a new image caching system), while preserving compatibility with StepMania 5.0.x content such as themes and noteskins. Speaking of themes, by far the most significant, user-visible change on 5.1 is a new default theme known as Lambda, which features a brighter appearance and a cleaner interface.

Source code, a Windows installer, and a macOS binary build are available now. If you encounter any issues with this release, please do not hesitate to report them on our GitHub issue tracker. Please note that StepMania 5.1 uses a separate folder for user files and profile data than StepMania 5.0, so you may have to migrate content to the new location, or configure alternate locations separate from your user data directory.

For more information, including a detailed changelog and downloads, visit its release page on GitHub.

Edit: There were some issues with the Windows installer originally uploaded (particularly, it did not identify itself correctly or use "StepMania 5.1" as the installation path). This has now been fixed. Additionally, a macOS version is now available.

Last edited: 25 January 2018 9:51am

any way I can ask you guys to help get loading songs from USB working? I posted about this on facebook, but no one seemed to want to help at all:

https://imgur.com/a/r4VgO

I've set the memory card preferences in my static.ini/preferences.ini, and was able to save data to my card no problem. However, what is the correct placement for charts on the memory card? I put a chart in E:\StepMania 5.1\Songs\Songfolder\*.sm
Make sure to set CustomSongsEnable=True

The path is correct.
Make sure to set CustomSongsEnable=True

The path is correct.

Tried setting that line to =1 and =True and neither worked for me
Sorry yeah, it should be 1 not True...

I'll test again, but it was working for me last I tried. Only tested on Linux.
I'm on Windows 10, just putting that out there
I'm unsure if it works on Windows, I don't recall anyone testing it on anything but cabs w/Linux
As an addendum, I am testing some changes to the look of the new default theme to make it more concise from a stylistic standpoint.

Please see the Lambda thread for details.