Forums » StepMania Development » Proposed change to speed mods

I'm sick of seeing people have problems with SpeedMods.txt, and I'd like to make it just go away. I have made a modification to default (and the engine) to implement a new way of setting the speed modifier.

Here's a screenshot from default after the change and the explanation of how to use it.
Speed:
The currently selected speed mod is displayed at the left, each player has their own item.
Hitting start on the current speed will do nothing.
The menu options are four numbers, and then the different modes.
The numbers increase or decrease the speed as expected.
"Xmod" changes the mode to the old x based system.
"Cmod" is the cmod system of speed mods.
"Mmod" is the mmod system, which just calculates an xmod for you based on the scroll speed you choose and the bpm of the song.

Post in this topic if you're in favor of or against this change. Especially post if you're against this change.

Last edited: 19 June 2014 6:06am

< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
I would appreciate this.
If you can do it without breaking compatibility, I don't care either way.
I'm documenting OptionRowHandlerLua while I'm at it, since I need to know how it works to do this anyway.
--
--
If you're looking to do it through a single lua option rows and nothing else( metrics, bganimations, etc ), you're not going to have a fun time. I have a lot of work with lua option rows from my 3.95 days and know how much of a pain they are. I think the biggest hurdle would be displaying the selected speed mod. There are few possible ways it can be done using only the sub-actors present in option rows, and they are all pretty ugly.
If you're looking to do it through a single lua option rows and nothing else( metrics, bganimations, etc ), you're not going to have a fun time. I have a lot of work with lua option rows from my 3.95 days and know how much of a pain they are. I think the biggest hurdle would be displaying the selected speed mod. There are few possible ways it can be done using only the sub-actors present in option rows, and they are all pretty ugly.
Yeah, this is not fun at all, and is just proving that I was right to not waste my time trying to use the normal options screen as a base for Consensual's options screen. The normal options screen was not conceived with the idea of any of the text ever changing or being controlled by lua, and that's pretty essential for what I want to do. Probably going to end up adding callbacks that do what I want, because using messages and changing actor text by hand is cumbersome and really shouldn't be the way to do it.
--
--
There is now a less ugly way to change the text of the actors in a lua controlled option row.
Is there a someone willing to test the change to make sure it's not confusing before it gets merged? I can provide a linux binary on request, hopefully one of the other devs can step forward with a windows binary.

First post updated with screenshot of new interface and explanation.

Last edited: 19 June 2014 6:07am

--
--
I've always thought it would be much more simple if the user was able to just type it in. The idea you've brought up is similar to that. It would be cool because not only will it make changing speed mods easier, but when people are training to complete a certain song using the rate option, they don't have to go to a text file and do make a whole list of calculations to make sure their favourite speed mod equals rate. XD