Forums » News » StepMania 5.0.7 released

Is there any development hurdles to changing over to x64? (outside the fact that dedicab/upgrade hardware are not x64 compatible?)
SM builds as 64-bit in 64-bit environments perfectly fine for most of the last decade, so if the machine is upgraded it'll be fine.

You guys should post 64 bit builds along side the 32 bit builds for your download links. I know it's not your fault, but I have yet to compile source on windows, and I have no access to Linux anymore.

Is there any development hurdles to changing over to x64? (outside the fact that dedicab/upgrade hardware are not x64 compatible?)
SM builds as 64-bit in 64-bit environments perfectly fine for most of the last decade, so if the machine is upgraded it'll be fine.

You guys should post 64 bit builds along side the 32 bit builds for your download links. I know it's not your fault, but I have yet to compile source on windows, and I have no access to Linux anymore.

Someone would have to do a rebuild of all of the libraries SM uses for a 64-bit Windows build (but if they did, it should work).
Is it really that difficult? I don't have a problem learning it and building for you guys, I just have no experience building windows applications.
Is it really that difficult? I don't have a problem learning it and building for you guys, I just have no experience building windows applications.
It's kinda pointless having 64 bit builds. I'm running sm5 on my 64 bit machine and it never uses more than around 1.5 gbs of ram (and even then that happens extremely rarely).

I mean, hardly any games these days if ANY have a 32 bit and 64 bit version. They just all use 32 bit. What makes stepmania any different? It's just extra work without any real advantage
It's kinda pointless having 64 bit builds. I'm running sm5 on my 64 bit machine and it never uses more than around 1.5 gbs of ram (and even then that happens extremely rarely).

I mean, hardly any games these days if ANY have a 32 bit and 64 bit version. They just all use 32 bit. What makes stepmania any different? It's just extra work without any real advantage

Tons of games have 64-bit versions and there's no reason we couldn't, it's just that building for 64-bit windows has historically been kind of a hassle.

Tons of games have 64-bit versions and there's no reason we couldn't, it's just that building for 64-bit windows has historically been kind of a hassle.

Quite a hastle. Really though does a game such as stepmania really need a 64 bit version? I mean, a game about hitting arrows to music I THINK can get a way with just a 32 bit version
The reason for x64 stepmania is to load larger libraries and utilize more RAM, more efficiently, in database tasks such as sorting, etc. SM5 themes are progressing to the point where we can do complex sorting/caching much like any other library program can (I compare it to iTunes where you can sort by almost anything as long as the metadata is present).
The reason for x64 stepmania is to load larger libraries and utilize more RAM, more efficiently, in database tasks such as sorting, etc. SM5 themes are progressing to the point where we can do complex sorting/caching much like any other library program can (I compare it to iTunes where you can sort by almost anything as long as the metadata is present).
I know what the point of 64 bit support is. Think is kyzen added a new method to load in songs when you start stepmania which works like a dream. Even then when I open the task manager on my machine the max memory I've seen stepmania using is 1.5 gbs of ram (and that was running a high end theme). It's pretty safe to say that for now stepmania 5 doesn't require more than 4 gbs of ram even running crazy high end themes.

I mean, this is a game about hitting arrows. Does that really need to be given access to more than 4 gbs of total memory?