Forums » News » StepMania 5.0.5 released

Since StepMania 5 hasn't really been what one should consider "beta" for a long time, we're dropping the label. Every further release in 5.0.x will be strictly backward compatible with this one, and the only API changes allowed will be additions.

Get it while it's hot right here on the downloads page! The last few months since the previous release have been almost entirely bug fixes, work on translations and some nice stuff added by Kyzentun, full details here (regular users, please at least read the first section, it's not too long!).

Happy Valentine's Day from the StepMania team!

If you are just now upgrading from 3.9x, here's just a few of the changes:

Spoiler (click to view)
* PIU support vastly improved
* New game modes
* BMS support improved significantly, although still nowhere near on par with a dedicated BMS player
* Support for more I/O devices
* Theming engine is now based on the Lua programming language (since late '07, actually, we've been working with this for a very long time). Please read the manual!
* Warps, Lift notes, Fake notes, Scroll segments and more. Tons of new features for simfiles to use and abuse. Please be gentle.
* A new default theme (which supports many of the new features)
* Automatic speed mod calculation using M-mods, which many of you may be familiar with from OpenITG. Simfile authors, please fill in your #DISPLAYBPM tags if you use speed gimmicks, so that these work properly.
* Arbitrary speed mods can be selected from the menus, no more need to edit any files.
* Online support, although still buggy (only new if you're coming from 3.9) as nobody has worked on this in a couple years.
* Loading time optimizations for large simfile collections, even without fast load.
* Bazillions of other things - a lot happens in 10 years.

Please note that save file locations and where you should install songs, themes, noteskins and other content has changed in 5.0 due to write access restrictions in modern operating systems. Content should now be installed to the relevant userdata location for your platform, on Windows this is %APPDATA%/StepMania 5, for everything else see here.

For the old behavior, you can make a file called "Portable.ini" in your StepMania folder (make absolutely sure the game is not installed in a write-protected location such as Program Files!).

If you spot any problems, please let us know in the thread or report the issue on GitHub.

Last edited: 15 February 2015 11:58am

Yayy! Thank you all for your awesome and hard work on making SM5 as awesome as it gets. I've been waiting so long for an actual release so I could start making and possibly porting themes. Great stuff! =D
4 panel and 5 panel player simfile artist.
Updated the release post with a note for people using older versions of the game.

Yayy! Thank you all for your awesome and hard work on making SM5 as awesome as it gets. I've been waiting so long for an actual release so I could start making and possibly porting themes. Great stuff! =D
Thanks, can't wait to see! Let us know if you find any problems, we try to get things sorted out as they come up. Make sure you don't have any dialogues ignored when developing themes, the in-game error console makes debugging them much easier.
Do you already can not add "AdditionalSongFolders"?

Edit: sorry, I found it!

Last edited: 15 February 2015 1:32pm

It's such a relief that SM is again something that someone puts his thoughts in. I just love it.
Long live Stepmania.

Last edited: 16 February 2015 7:39am

My apologies if you feel this is thread hijacking, but I couldn't figure out how to privmsg, so...

I tried to donate! using the info at http://www.stepmania.com/download/ and it doesn't work! Help?
My apologies if you feel this is thread hijacking, but I couldn't figure out how to privmsg, so...

I tried to donate! using the info at http://www.stepmania.com/download/ and it doesn't work! Help?

Strange. I just tried it myself and everything seemed fine, maybe just a temporary paypal issue?
How odd; seems fine this time. Thanks!