Forums » Input, Adapters & Controllers » New Metal Pad, Buttons stuck on Rapid Fire?

Hello there,
I just recently bought a new metal pad and have been having a hell of a time setting it up. All of the buttons seem to be stuck in "turbo" mode. When pressed they just rapid fire from pressed to off forever, so when trying to hold notes they immediately count as missed. Also going through menus is close to impossible.

The controller itself is a PS2 metal pad, with an adapter for USB. I have tried 2 adapters, 1 of which works perfectly fine with another pad of the same style. I have a feeling it is the pad itself, but would like to see if there are any software solutions to fix this? I could be just missing something. Even in windows calibration, the buttons are registering and pressing super fast and sometimes hitting multiple inputs. Could be a short? Thoughts?

A side note, I am on Windows 8.1 64bit, however I have tried it on Mac and does the same thing.

Last edited: 23 August 2014 3:45pm

If it's misbehaving in Windows' configuration, it's probably a problem with the pad. What model of pad is it, and does the manufacturer have a forum for resolving problems with it?

After resolving the problem with the pad, you'll probably want to set the debounce time to keep a single press from registering multiple times.
Open APPDATA%/StepMania 5.0/Save/Preferences.ini and change InputDebounceTime to 0.060000.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
If it's misbehaving in Windows' configuration, it's probably a problem with the pad. What model of pad is it, and does the manufacturer have a forum for resolving problems with it?

After resolving the problem with the pad, you'll probably want to set the debounce time to keep a single press from registering multiple times.
Open APPDATA%/StepMania 5.0/Save/Preferences.ini and change InputDebounceTime to 0.060000.

It is a Cypher Games Metal Dancepad. I couldn't find much about it when I looked. Looks like i should have done more research before buying?
Well, I don't know anything about that pad, so you'll have to search the internet for troubleshooting advice or hope someone else posts some help.
If you do resolve your problem, make sure you post your solution here.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Can you try the pad with a PS1 or PS2? It could be a problem with the adapter if it auto-fires in your PS2 then you know it's shot and there are some really bad connections in the pad, if it only happens in StepMania then it's your adapter.
Sadly, I don't have a ps2 or a psx anywhere to just nab for a couple minutes. I even ran down to our local retro store to see if they had one for like 15 bucks but no dice. I have a friend who is bringing over his pad with adapter that we know works. Hopefully this will give me a bit more to troubleshoot with.

Last edited: 24 August 2014 2:23pm