Forums » Input, Adapters & Controllers » Axis Fix For ANY Dance Pad

Howdy! I'm still stuck on this axis problem and could use some help.

Hardware specs: I'm running Stepmania 5.0.7 on a Windows 8 machine (an SP3!) I've got a brand new RedOctane pad. My adapter is relatively high-end but I can't remember the brand. I don't think it's the problem; I had the same issue with the translucent blue adapter pictured in the OP.

I've run through every step in the OP except the steps listed for 32-bit OSes. Both the AHK scripts are working properly and I edited the actual axis fix script as noted. Nevertheless, the axis problem persists! Here's my experience of it:

- All four arrows work fine independently;
- When I hold down both Left and Right, it registers as Right;
- When I hold down Right, it doesn't register a press on Left;
- When I hold down Left, it overrides left to Right when pressed;
- Same basic deal with Up/Down; it doesn't register Up unless Down isn't pressed but will always register Down.

Any ideas? I could really use the help. Thanks much!
ALL DOWNLOAD LINKS ARE BACK UP AND RUNNING. DRIVER HAS TWO LINKS IN CASE ONE FAILS
Some people are having a problem where their pad shows up as a pov switch instead of analog joystick. As of now there is no fix in this post. If you find a fix, please share info about it

If your like me, you just recently bought yourself some form of adapter to plug your playstation dance pad into your pc. Upon use, you find that you cannot hold opposite arrows, otherwise it will not register a press. After research, you find that using the up+start+select should work, but it doesn't. The rest of the internet and these forums will tell you one of two things, either buy a new pad for usb, or buy a better adapter. After searching all over the interwebs, I found a script that will fix the axis problem for any dance pad that registers as a gamepad.
NOTE: I am not the creator of these scripts. I merely am transferring them here. They were originally on a forum post of the old stepmania website, and is not longer accessible from here.

Dance games this fix may not work on:
-OpenITG

Dance games confirmed to work with this:
-StepMania 5 beta 3

Instructions:
1. Download the zip file from this link.
2. Extract the contents of the zip file somewhere easily accessible.
3. Download and install autohotkey from this website.
4. Plug in either one or two dance pads, and make sure all other gamepad devices are unplugged.
5. Run JoyKeyTest.exe
6. When prompted, insert "1" and click ok
7. Open SMAxisRemapV2.ahk in a text editor such as notepad
8. Stay off the pad, and look at the value labeled as "x" in the window following your mouse. Insert this number in the text file next to "J1None"
9. Now proceed to step on two opposite arrows at the same time. Again, look at the value labeled "x" and input that into the text file next to "J1Both"

~Steps 10-13: For dual dance pad only~
10. Exit JoyKeyTest by going to the notification area (lower right of windows), right clicking the green square with an H in it, and clicking "exit"
11. Reopen JoyKeyTest.exe, and when prompted for input, type 2 and then click ok
12. Stay off of player pad, and look at the value labeled "x". Input that in the text file next to "J2None"
13. Now step on two opposite arrows, and again look at the value labeled "x". Input that into the text file next to "J2Both"

14. Save the text file, and close it and JoyKeyTest.
15. Open AutoHotKey from where it is installed. If there is no desktop shortcut, it is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoHotKey\AutoHotKey.exe, or if Program Files (x86) does not exist, it will be in the same place but under Program Files instead.
16. Right click SMAxisRemapV2.ahk, then click Run Script
17. Open Stepmania and map the buttons. A slightly longer press may be required for it to register as a keyboard button and not a joypad axis, but once mapped correctly in Stepmania it will work perfectly in game. Simply use the audio sync setting in the options menu to make sure the timing is all accurate

It seems like a lot of steps, but that is due to me trying to explain everything well so that everyone can understand it

~EDIT~
From testing, it seems that this fix does not like to work on OpenITG. As for anything older than stepmania 5 beta 3, I do not guarantee success. If your pad will not register in game as keyboard buttons (keypad up down left right etc.), then you may want to upgrade to stepmania 5 beta 3. Also, if you do find versions that do not support this fix, please reply and I will add them to the list at the top of this post.

~EDIT: 7/28/14~
If you are using a PS to PC adapter and it shows up as a twin joystick, there may be a driver that works for you.
NOTE: To use this driver, you need to have a 32 bit operating system.
1. Download and install this driver (only need one of the downloads, uploaded to two sites for redundancy)
Mega MediaFire
2. Open control panel and navigate to game controllers (under devices and printers for newer OS's)
3. Right click "Twin PS to PC adapter", then click gamepad settings (For winxp or older, this step is not necessary)
3. Double click on the "Twin PS to PC adapter"
4. Under Function Test, set Mode Select to DancePad Mode.
Essentially, this fix does the same thing as the script, but it supports every dance game. Also, if you have a PS to PC adapter that has 2 controller ports, this will only support 1 pad at a time.
This fix is tested, and appears to work for any dance pad and any dance game, so long as you have a compatible PS to PC adapter and a 32 bit operating system. If you don't know what 32 bit is, then google is your friend.

These adapters are known to work with this fix:

~EDIT: 1/23/15~
The autohotkey script fix now seems to work for OpenITG. If it does not work for you, I believe I know why.
The default install location for OpenITG its in the program files folder (either Program Files or Program Files(x86) depending on if you have 32 or 64 bit OS). With the program installed there, many aspects of the game break. This includes its ability to save settings. Running it as administrator seems to fix some things, but still does not fully fix the problem. I know StepMania default installs to C:\Games, so I tried installing OpenITG to that location as well. Lo and behold, the program fully functions and accepts the autohotkey fix script. Full functionality exists, even without running as administrator. I recommend installing to the new location, then moving over key folders from the previous install location (themes, songs, noteskins, data), and then finally deleting the old OpenITG folder in program files and its shortcuts on the desktop.

Maaaaaaaaan!!!
Thank you very much!! that helped a lot!
now i can play with my Redoctane Metal Pad!!
it was very difficult but it finally worked out!!! ;D!!
thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks!!!
Hello posted to this forum more than year ago with Axis problem

Well year later even after trying this fix and many others still no luck with making pad work
I remember I had similar problem with no brand ones but those come with driver which made them work (on Win 7 they do not work anymore having the same problem as my current one)

I have impact dance pad when I plug it in computer it installs as follows

When I start up stepmania its detected (as it should be as it supposed to have native support) and autoconfigured but when I go into input test this happens

If I press any one of button it registers correctly

If I press more than one button it shows nothing

Using your utility have same results

If I press one button it correctly detects its pressed down
When I try to press more than one at the same time it gives on output whatsoever

Last edited: 19 May 2015 10:38am

Fighter19 had a pad that suffered from the axis problem. He managed to work out a fix that worked for the specific brand he has. It has not been tested with other pads, so it might not work for them all.
Anybody who has a pad with the axis problem should try going to the service options, then Input Options, the Advanced Input Options, then turns on the Axis Fix option. Then report whether it works and what kind of pad it was tested with.
The Axis Fix preference defaults to off because it has only been tested with a few types of pads and it is not known what types it works with or whether it somehow causes problems for some brands.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Fighter19 had a pad that suffered from the axis problem. He managed to work out a fix that worked for the specific brand he has. It has not been tested with other pads, so it might not work for them all.
Anybody who has a pad with the axis problem should try going to the service options, then Input Options, the Advanced Input Options, then turns on the Axis Fix option. Then report whether it works and what kind of pad it was tested with.
The Axis Fix preference defaults to off because it has only been tested with a few types of pads and it is not known what types it works with or whether it somehow causes problems for some brands.

Could you please aim me at apropriate topic ? I cant find any advanced input options in windows where could I disable axis
I know old win 98/98/xp native driver alowed to configure controller manually so easy fix there was just to create custom driver with wizard provided by windows itself

I am starting to thinking I will try dual boot with windows xp /win 7 x64 just to test if they work in Win XP but with my luck I will ruin my current windows instal partition and loose tons of data :(
If you're not in the default theme, or not on 5.0.8, that's probably why you're not seeing the option.
Here are some screenshots hilighting the things to pick in the service menu.

< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Hello all,

I was able to get opposite arrows working with both p1 and p2 dance pads. I'm using the Blue 2 player adapter.

I followed the steps on the first page to get the initial setup done. Then, in order to get the p2 opposite arrows working correctly, you have to map the following in Stepmania

Mapping

The reason you have to do this is because of the way keys are mapped in the SMAxisRemapV2.ahk file.

Whoever made the script, mapped the following:

P2 Left = A
P2 Right = D
P2 Up = W
P2 Down = S

Hope this helps!

Last edited: 20 May 2015 2:13pm

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't had a chance to test things out until tonight. And I arrive with good news - I finally got it to work!!!

Here's what I did:
I followed all the steps (1-17) in the OP.

Here are my constants in the SMAxisRemapV2 file:
J1None = 49.609
J1Both = 49.999
J2None = 49.609
J2Both = 49.999

Then, I installed Stepmania 5.0.8 (I previously had Stepmania 5.0.7 or so installed) and followed the instructions in this post. Now my axis problem is gone and I can hit opposite arrows (right/left, up/down) without any issues! It looks like the Axis Fix option in Stepmania 5.0.8 was the only thing that was missing.

Info, in case it helps anyone-
Stepmania: ver 5.0.8
Dance pad: this one
PS to PC adapter: the blue one in the OP (this one)

Thank you so much, TheCyberQuake, Kyzentun, and everyone hard at work with Stepmania and this thread! I, along with many, many others, truly appreciate your hard work and expertise! :)