Forums » General StepMania » StepMania does not support 2GB+ ZIP files?

As the title says...

I encountered this problem after making the video addon pack for OD3Mix -PAD- and before its was under 2GBs and loads perfectly on StepMania 3.9+ and 5 b3+b4 ...

Now that we, at OD, finish the Patches to it and added more "beef" to it... the Video Pack is now 2.35GBs and I am guessing over 150 videos or exactly 170 as the song count?

So just to add more "features" to next build of sm 5

Last edited: 21 October 2014 1:49am

k lets remove ffmpeg
Its not a bug its a FEATURE!
I am going to assume your videos are .avi; if this is not the case, please let me know.

Have you considered re-encoding your video files from .avi to .mp4? Doing so should make the video pack considerably smaller in filesize. This will benefit your audience in that they won't have to wait to download 2.35GBs.

On Linux or OS X, this can done easily via the command line assuming you have ffmpeg installed via your package manager of choice.

1. put all your .avi files into a directory
2. use your terminal to cd into that directory
3. run this:
for f in *.avi; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -c:v libx264 -crf 19 -preset slow "${f/%avi/mp4}"; done

If you use Windows or are not comfortable with the command line, I recommend giving Handbrake a try: https://handbrake.fr/ It is free, fast, and easy to use.