Forums » Chit-chat » IMHO: StepMania vs. OpenITG vs. Mungyodance 3

So, on my computer I have the three best freeware dance games of all time- Mungyodance 3, StepMania, and OpenITG. I'm bored waiting for Stepmania to finish installing, so I decided I'd rank them and review them.

in 3rd place: OpenITG
why?
With the look and feel of In The Groove 2, my favorite commercial dance game, this stacks a solid third. It's held back due to the slightly clunky interface and the fact that it crashes if I try to adjust the resolution to stop the stretch-o-vision on my 1366x768 widescreen laptop monitor.

in 2nd place: Mungyodance 3
why?
I'm actually really sad for this game, it is absurdly hard to find a download anywhere anymore, and it's not fully compatible with Windows 8. Additionally, the stretch-o-vision from OpenITG is present, with no means to adjust resolution at all. However, the game comes with over 700 songs, and the absence of note timings make this a simple, yet challenging, dance game. (Additionally, the song charts are a challenge.)

in 1st place (and you totally saw this coming): Stepmania
why?
It's the first freeware dance game I played, from 3.9 back in my 1st grade year, to 5 beta 3 today. It's my trustworthy partner in dance gaming, and it runs the best on my computer. Additionally, I don't have to live with stretched graphics! It's also the easiest to record, this is the only game I can get to run in a window so Bandicam can pick it up. 11/10, would recommend.
Ah, so it's not just me with the option menu crash in OpenITG! That's good to know. Another thing that bugs me about OpenITG is that it takes a long time to load a lot of songs after launching the game. I know people that prefer OpenITG, though. Heh.
Another thing that bugs me about OpenITG is that it takes a long time to load a lot of songs after launching the game.

FastLoad=1

Work in Progress
Another thing that bugs me about OpenITG is that it takes a long time to load a lot of songs after launching the game.

FastLoad=1

That doesn't fix it. It's a problem in the game giving a % of passed vs. overall songs. When you first boot up oITG with many songs it will load fast because the % is 0. But after you play a single song it will take up to an HOUR just to get to the title screen from the intro screen. AND if you wait that long and don't press START in the time limit then you will have to wait AGAIN so you have 30 seconds to get past the title-screen or another hour wait. The delays increases exponentially as more songs are added, with 500 or so songs it's really fast just a few seconds, with 5000 songs it takes 30 minutes.

Another reason why I prefer StepMania 4 with ITG PC over oITG as well.
that sounds like something's broken on your end. adding a bunch of numbers that are already in memory shouldn't take anywhere near 30 minutes.
that sounds like something's broken on your end. adding a bunch of numbers that are already in memory shouldn't take anywhere near 30 minutes.
On my end?

You mean on ITG in general?

I believe it's a calculation that is being performed which is why R21 limited custom songs to just 50 so there aren't going to be 5000+ songs.
I have nearly 4000 songs and it takes no more than a minute to load it all up in oITG so idk

Work in Progress
I have nearly 4000 songs and it takes no more than a minute to load it all up in oITG so idk
Really, does your theme give you the % singles % doubles etc in the top right corner of the main screen? That's where mine always freezes up at.

Last edited: 25 July 2014 12:49pm