Forums » Themes » [SM5.1][WIP]Infiniti Stepman Worx (USW for 5.1)?! [Noteskin/Newskin]

Original title was: [SM5.1][Request] HELP WANTED: We need universal Lua script [Noteskin/newskin] for SM5.1!
HELP WANTED was now asking contribution to my Git. Please check the link bellow!
KLIK HIR TU DONLOT!!!!!!.
and don't forget to contribute!

In March 2013, according to this paste: Lua all in one gamemode noteskin
which Jousway, the noteskin professor posted for: Unlimited Stepmania Works.
This Lua script is the bone of the noteskin for SM5.
It allows you to cover all game modes existed in SM5. Even the unsupported game mode in case such as Light for cabinet.

Recently, I've made small preview of a noteskin I made for SM5.1 which planned to be shipped with the SM5.1 itself over GitHub.
As you can see before, the Noteskin arrangement was very ugly because I directly copied the default's notes.lua and noteskin.lua to this project.
Check this thread out about Vacuum Ship Noteskin

Since we don't want to backport the older SM5 noteskinning system and head start immediately to newskin SM5.1,
we need:
The Universal Stepmania Works Noteskins for v5.1

And I made it Frankensteinly (copy paste partial modules from various existing code of their newskins), which is nailed it.

Sorry, no DL link yet. Our topic today is to have the lua scripting in newskin for SM5.1 covered.
Why do we need that?
- default newskin only covers dance gametype (Did you know, default noteskin named Consentient is also made by Jousway)
- documentation over there is not fully covered even, and some or most beginner often confused with alot of comments.
- Jousway ported easyv2, exactv2, edgy, for SM5.1. However, the lua script is not fully covered for other gametype other than dance and pump, probably...
> easyV2 and exactV2 only covers dance and pump gametype. check noteskin.lua
> edgy only covers pump game mode. if you don't see edgy in the newskin menu, you're probably isn't on pump gametype.
Yes, he made the scripts as minimal as possible. Not supporting all buttons.
- I want my projects open source! no proprietary-ing softwares allowed in Perkedel Corporation!!!
- etc.

You may need a time to figuring out making the all in one newskin lua script for SM5.1, we don't put the deadline right now.
All you have to do for contribution, is to write all existing function for the newskin in that scripts for:

These are the Lua scripts contained in a Newskin:
- notes.lua <-- Note sprite loadings
- noteskin.lua <-- Metrics, core of the functionality: Names, Descriptions and explanations, behaviour, dependecy loadings
- explosion.lua <-- Explosion loadings. When notes hit
- Receptor.lua <-- receptor loadings. The judgement line

Is it possible just one script so in a newskin, it contains bunch of sprites and just one noteskin.lua which loads notes, explosions, receptors, and behaviour?

Once again, please take your time to think and figure out and if you did it ASAP, that's great.
Well this thing is unfinished. we need help for.

No need bellow!
Spoiler (click to view)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\/\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\/\/\/\

I may have to understand, maybe Jousway is very busy. So in this thread I don't limit for who want to contribute.
Anyone may join in this thread and contribute your lua scripts I wanted above.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

How this all started:
Spoiler (click to view)
Nix and his Trix suggested me that I have to start it back myself. because if Jousway had a different term, that would be harm for upcoming projects.
Please click here to see my progress of this GitHub repo.
remember, it's not prefect at a momment. but I figured out what does the code means. I copy pasted some intresting modules from the existing newskin lua scripts, so it's Frankenstein built.

Bonus: where did you all guys got that Hatsune Miku character? who made that? is it Waiei (A.C Yoshi)? I find it anywhere on Google won't gave a relevant result. Google drive link I got is banned. I wanted it desperately

Last edited: 25 March 2016 9:53pm

The Founder of Perkedel Corporation
From what I can tell, it looks like you are asking people to do most of the work for you. If you want a USW noteskin script for Stepmania 5.1, why don't you try making your own? Figure out how to do things by fiddling around with the existing examples (code etc) and reading the documentation. If you start a post with "hey guys I've been working on this, it's not finished yet but check it out!", you'll be much more likely for people to express an interest in helping you out. If, however, you just propose an idea, and ask for help to start the project, what reason does anyone have to listen to you? if Jousway wanted to write his own USW5.1 noteskins for example, don't you think he would go and do that on his own terms?

How not to start a mod: this article is from a different game but it's still JUST as relevant here too. I see this "someone (but not me) should do this cool idea I have..." mind set far too often and I wonder where it comes from, having suffered with it myself in the past.

I suggest you have a go at this project yourself, partly as a challenge to teach yourself the SM5.1 Newskin system. Post your code on github/gitlab so people can look at it and tell you where you could do better. If you show a desire to learn, and to figure things out for yourself, people will be a LOT more willing to help you than if you just propose an idea and ask people for contributions.
From what I can tell, it looks like you are asking people to do most of the work for you. If you want a USW noteskin script for Stepmania 5.1, why don't you try making your own? Figure out how to do things by fiddling around with the existing examples (code etc) and reading the documentation. If you start a post with "hey guys I've been working on this, it's not finished yet but check it out!", you'll be much more likely for people to express an interest in helping you out. If, however, you just propose an idea, and ask for help to start the project, what reason does anyone have to listen to you? if Jousway wanted to write his own USW5.1 noteskins for example, don't you think he would go and do that on his own terms?

How not to start a mod: this article is from a different game but it's still JUST as relevant here too. I see this "someone (but not me) should do this cool idea I have..." mind set far too often and I wonder where it comes from, having suffered with it myself in the past.

I suggest you have a go at this project yourself, partly as a challenge to teach yourself the SM5.1 Newskin system. Post your code on github/gitlab so people can look at it and tell you where you could do better. If you show a desire to learn, and to figure things out for yourself, people will be a LOT more willing to help you than if you just propose an idea and ask people for contributions.

Great idea. I was just a beginner and have no idea at all at a momment for SM5 lua script. I was used to be in Principia game Lua script.

I will post my Frankenstein script and stuffs whenever it is ready.
I will post it on GitHub for start.

Have you checked my preview of my first Newskin? I've tried to learn how does the newskin works.
SM5.1 Vacuum Ship noteskin (Preview only + DL link)
I can draw, but not perfect. I can programming but need to learn.
I need teacher for this section to get me started

Last edited: 24 March 2016 5:51am

The Topic was now changed.
Please check the link:
GitHub repo: Desired to Learn SM5.1
BUMP!!!
Title changed!