Forums » Themes » Will write SM5 theming docs (or convert scripted simfiles) for money.

As we all know, SM5 is sorely lacking in theming documentation. A lot of questions could be answered before they're asked by good documentation. I'm willing to spend my time writing detailed documentation for everything if I can get some money out of it. If nobody is interested enough to fund it, I'll just continue quietly working on Consensual and answering questions when it suits my mood.
Everything I write will be centered around using Lua to build a theme, with absolute minimal use of metrics.ini, because that's how I roll. I don't see metrics as necessary (with some exceptions) or helpful (they promote unreadable code, in my view).

Here's my todo list:
Terminology
The Anatomy of An Actor
The Anatomy of A Screen
The Anatomy of the _fallback Theme (map of screens it implements, showing the branches between them)
A One Screen Example Theme
A Multi-Layer Screen Example
Exhaustive Screen Examples (every screen class in detail, metrics used by the screen, actors inserted by the engine, messages broadcast by the screen, messages broadcast by the engine actors, how functions on the screen can be used)
Exhaustive Actor Examples (every actor class in detail, except what is already covered in Lua.xml) (will probably be done in conjunction with the screen examples)

I'll cover the first three regardless. After that, I'll produce what I consider a fair amount of documentation for whatever money I get (whatever I can write at the rate of ~$15/hour).

For converting scripted simfiles, the cost will depend hugely on the simfile and what it does. Probably a minimum of 2 hours of work for a simfile that works perfectly after only a couple tests. I would need a copy of the simfile and a good quality video of how it's supposed to look. Things that should have been done with noteskins (like Jayce's Sweet Doughnuts simfile) will be rejected outright. Converted simfiles that need it will use the PlayerOptions API that was added after beta 3, unless the person requesting it is willing to pay extra for beta 3 compatibility.
If the original creator of the simfile protests its conversion in any way, they'll be put on my personal list of people to not help.

I would offer to convert themes, but I don't expect anyone to be willing to put up enough money to cover that amount of work.

I've left out details on how to send me money until I get a positive response. Too bad this forum doesn't have a PM system.

Last edited: 16 June 2014 1:50pm

< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit