Forums » Themes » [SM5][Theme] Consensual

Turns out the problem was a minor mistake in the comparison I was using for the search. (two lines changed, rest is commented out debugging traces)

I have the fix on the reskin branch.
The easiest way to switch to the reskin branch is if you're using git and cloned the repository. If you did, then just update master. Then create a new local branch named "reskin". Then pull the reskin branch from github.
With the command line, it'd be this sequence of commands:
git pull origin master

git checkout -b reskin
git pull origin reskin

(I don't use any gui for git, so I don't know what that translates to in a gui)

The reskin branch has "(reskin)" in the display name to make it easier to have both it and master and not get confused in the theme selection menu.
Eventually, it'll be merged back into the master branch.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Tested the reskin with the current build and it's looking pretty nice. My only complaints from an HCI perspective is that the extra click to select the difficulty after selecting the song is mostly unnecessary, the pervasive footbar in the song selection screen is also unnecessary and the window for the current selected song is way too big to the point of showing too little of the song selection wheel (which hinders browsing).

Showing the timing windows alongside the judgements in the result screen was a nice surprise. No idea what the "TWS: 1.00000" is supposed to be but would be nice to see the current mods there.

It would also be nice to have a sum column in the result screen that counts only the current song as it currently only shows session totals.

Also, for some reason when I enable toasties in the gameplay flags, ... [edit]

Anyway, thanks for the great work so far! I'm really pleased with how this is going.

Last edited: 10 June 2015 9:04pm

Tested the reskin with the current build and it's looking pretty nice. My only complaints from an HCI perspective is that the extra click to select the difficulty after selecting the song is mostly unnecessary, the pervasive footbar in the song selection screen is also unnecessary and the window for the current selected song is way too big to the point of showing too little of the song selection wheel (which hinders browsing).
I misinterpreted a mockup from dbk2 to mean that he wanted two part selection, and implemented it because I think it'll mean fewer people asking how to change the difficulty next time I take it to an event. So I need to go in and implement a config option to pick whether the machine is set to two part selection.
I dislike the footbar too.
The footbar actually tells you how to collapse the window for the current selected song, if you have a Select button mapped. And your collapse choice should be properly saved.

Showing the timing windows alongside the judgements in the result screen was a nice surprise. No idea what the "TWS: 1.00000" is supposed to be but would be nice to see the current mods there.
I just did that on a whim because I was playing with TimingWindowScale 0.25 for a couple days. It made the game more challenging.

It would also be nice to have a sum column in the result screen that counts only the current song as it currently only shows session totals.
I would have to restructure the eval screen to allow more columns to fit nicely, or only allow 4 to be turned on at any time, or something like that.

Also, for some reason when I enable toasties in the gameplay flags, ...
Not a bug. Toasty confirmed to work perfectly. (edit post so others can enjoy the surprise)

Problems that people not on 5.0.9 will see:
BlendMode_Subtract is broken in the d3d renderer. On 5.0.8, this means an instant crash. On 5.0.9, it'll just mean everything rendering wrong. Switch to opengl renderer in Preferences.ini.
ActorMultiVertex had a bug which causes my logo animation to have some missing verts.
update_centering on the cons service screen. If you try to use the cons service screen to edit the CenterImage* preferences, you'll see an error when it tries to tell Stepmania to update the prefs.
The engine function used for updating the cursor size changed to be more convenient, so on 5.0.8 the cursor will resize <fps>x as fast as it should. (the frame delta was being multiplied into the speed on the lua side before, now it's being done on the C++ side)
--
--
SM 5.0.9 releases this weekend, and I'm going to be working on stuff for 5.1, so this is the last call for any important problems before the reskin branch for Consensual is merged into the master branch of Consensual.
--
--
The reskin branch has been merged into the master branch. Everybody should update and upgrade to 5.0.9.
If the bubbles in the background cause too much or not enough lag, there's a section in the options for configuring the amount and size and stuff.
--
--
I wanted to mod the theme with a script to save a text file when I start a song so that it prints something in the form of "$song_dir_attr $mode $difficulty $mods" (song_dir_attr being the song path saved as an xml attribute in the xml, no idea about the internal representation within sm5), with the intention of processing that with some external tools. I got an overall idea with the script you posted in another thread but I have no experience whatsoever with theming to even know where I would put that in consensual and the specific calls to get those data. Can you give me some direction on how to go about that?

Also, about consensual itself, I noticed that the gameplay judge counter is always one note hit behind, it's pretty minor but I guess it's worth pointing out. (if it has been fixed my bad because I haven't updated in a month or so).
I tweaked save_score.lua a bit to support two players and added it to Consensual.

For the judge counter, it was an accident. I was trying to save a bit of processing by only updating it when JudgmentMessageCommand occurred, but it turns out the player stats are updated after that command is broadcast. So I had to go back to updating it every frame.

Last edited: 22 August 2015 6:33pm

--
--
For some reason my stepmania doesn't seem to give the current version properly (tried with the nightly build and the 5.0.9 official release) which makes consensual fallback to the default theme (accusing lower than 5.0.9 version), I had to force the version check script to be skipped so I could use the current consensual version.

After doing some changes for my needs, save_score.lua works like a charm so thanks for that. Now I wanted another similar script called right as the song starts (i.e. transitioning to the gameplay screen), I figured out how to get the information I need making this save_current.lua and how to add it somewhere based on how the save_score function is called on the evaluation screen overlay, however I have no idea where to put it to be called at the point I want it to, help with that would be appreciated. Also, I'm assuming all those information I'm querying would be already valid as I enter in the gameplay screen, if that's not the case I would need help with that as well.

Other than that the only significant change I noticed is the 'bounciness' on the menus that felt a bit too heavy to the point of being uncomfortable when scrolling through the song wheel.