Forums » Themes » [SM5][Theme] Consensual

You are awesome! I mainly like to see it because it is a quick benchmark for each song where I use percentage to measure progress. Thank you for the reply.
As is tradition, I drew my own art and set my own percentages for the grading. But, it's configurable and you can drop your own sprite sheet of grades into Graphics/grades.
This brings Consensual up to a total of 5 images (counting all the button icons as one, and the two parts of the _game_chars font as one), and over 21,000 lines of lua.

< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Added menus for changing the scoring metrics (requires using Shift+F2 to reload metrics after changes).
Also added a menu for picking the global offset for a session:

Fun fact: Global offset is not added in when ScreenGameplay checks when the notes start or end.
So a global offset of 10 seconds resulted in starting with some notes past the receptors.

--
--
I just wanted to say that i love this theme and appreciate your development. You may remember me from IRC (Confuzled). I am finally deployed and now that i have a bit of internet access i wanted to tell you that i am using your theme at our first USNS Comfort DDR Night (What they called it, not me lol)

Thank you for all of your hard work and your dedication.

Keep up the awesome!!!
Thanks, I'll keep working on it and SM5.

For those wondering why there haven't been any changes in the last couple weeks, and whether I'll actually do workout mode: I've been spending my time mostly on stuff internal to SM5, primarily combing over everything that happens during startup so there's less time spent waiting for SM5 to load songs and stuff. Someday I'll return to finish workout mode to make it usable.
--
--
All the functionality in this theme is pretty awesome, took me a little while to test out what I cared about so here are my complaints and/or suggestions:

- On the results screen, it doesn't show your mods (what goes in the field 'Modifiers' for the score in stats.xml). The only dealbreaker for me actually using the theme as that's pretty important when browsing through screenshots of my scores and when sharing them with other people.

- Although there is the option to turn the grade % cut-offs to SM5 default, it ends based off SM5 % scoring while the actual default is based on MAX DP. That's particularly bad for AAs as they aren't trivially computable and are already a common score reference. I know the value I want is still saved in the field 'Grade' for the score in stats.xml, so I'm guessing it's only a matter of fetching that.

- I tried to turn the alpha channel of the lifebar to 0 and nothing happens. I changed in the color setting thing gameplay->lifebar->set alpha->0.

- The float mod centralize for some reason rotates the judge and combo text by value*0.5pi rad.

- Would be nice to have a change receptor Y value mod (like the combo and judge ones). The only ways I found to do that are manipulating centralize (that has the problem of previous item) and reverse (<0.5 but it messes the speedmod).

- Is it possible to have centered 1 player? As it is, the setting is overridden to false. Alternatively, having a receptor X value mod would be great.

- I would find useful having date+time shown on the results screen at least for my screenshots. Profile name as well (limited utility but I guess I grew used to it as every theme I've seen shows that).

- Gameplay screen is fine for actually playing but I'd find useful some additional things for streaming; being able to customize judge count position and size, and showing current mods somewhere non-intrusive (rate in particular would be the main one).

- I'm not personally affected by this but it's strange to have the speedmod with somewhat large minimum steps (25) while most mods allow so much fine tuning.

- Is it possible for mods like mini to be persistent across sessions? It's a small but annoying thing having to change it every single time I enter the game (in my larger monitor I only use 25% mini).

- In the results screen, the % shown for the Max Combo field is wrong. It compares the combo (that counts jumps/hands as the sum of individual notes) against the total judge count (that counts jumps/hands as a single tap) so I get a value over 100% for a full combo for example.

In any case, thanks for the great work.
The whole tagging system is something that I wanted for while already so I'm pretty happy with that. Customizing the song info pane and having an easier time fine tuning mods are also nice pluses.

Last edited: 23 April 2015 3:53pm

- On the results screen, it doesn't show your mods.
I never got around to figuring out a good place to show modifiers, and then the screen filled up with other stuff.
The top of the screen is reserved for the song title. The previous machine and personal bests go above the score data. Between the bests and the score data is the pad diagram that shows the current style. All the data in the score frame makes it go to the bottom of the screen. The other side of the screen is for the other player, so if the mods were over there, they wouldn't show up in 2 player.
I might be able to cram it in between the bests and the life/combo graph, but that might turn out bad in 4:3. (I play in 16:10, so I have more horizontal space in my screenshots)

- Although there is the option to turn the grade % cut-offs to SM5 default, it ends based off SM5 % scoring while the actual default is based on MAX DP.
I'm not sure what the problem is here. The percentage is calculated from the max dp possible.

- I tried to turn the alpha channel of the lifebar to 0 and nothing happens. I changed in the color setting thing gameplay->lifebar->set alpha->0.
Those colors are only used for the battery and time life bars, because I haven't gotten around to writing a customizable life bar yet. Technically, I've been using a slightly modified version that turns the life bar into a snake for the last 4 months, but that's unrelated.

- The float mod centralize for some reason rotates the judge and combo text by value*0.5pi rad.
Easter egg because I thought it was funny when I first started in early 2014. Midiman complained too because he uses reverse.

- Would be nice to have a change receptor Y value mod.
I'll put this in my next commit.

- Is it possible to have centered 1 player?
Whoops. I put in a one liner because I was too lazy to set the preference in the options and forgot to remove it.

- I would find useful having date+time shown on the results screen at least for my screenshots. Profile name as well (limited utility but I guess I grew used to it as every theme I've seen shows that).
Date+time has the same problem as mods, deciding where to put it.
If your profile name isn't showing up and you're in single player, turn on the profile_data flag under Decorations->Evaluation Flags. If you've set your options level above 1, you can access a menu for setting the flags while on evaluation by pressing Select (mapped to slash by default).
In two player, the profile data can be shown by pressing left or right, though that's not useful for screenshots that also need to show the score.

- customize judge count position and size, and showing current mods somewhere non-intrusive (rate in particular would be the main one).
Doable. I can put the rate above the song title or similar. Not sure where to put mods because behind the notefield would be the easiest way to do it for multiple players, but that causes readability problems. I've been avoiding making single-player focused things and anything that only works in single player because I also take this to events where it has to be good in 2 player.
I'll figure something out.

- I'm not personally affected by this but it's strange to have the speedmod with somewhat large minimum steps (25) while most mods allow so much fine tuning.
I doubt anyone could actually tell whether the speed mod was 10 different in a double blind test. That's why I didn't bother to add more fine tuning to what is already the most complex modifier.

- Is it possible for mods like mini to be persistent across sessions?
Yes. It might work if you edit DefaultModifiers in Preferences.ini, but I'll come up with a better system that doesn't require editing a config file, because people shouldn't have to do that.
What I'm considering is adding another menu option to the standard float mod menu, "Make Persistent". If that menu option is picked, the current value of the modifier will be saved to the player's config.

- In the results screen, the % shown for the Max Combo field is wrong.
Until a couple weeks ago, Stepmania didn't have an accurate way for the theme to know the actual number of notes in a chart. Thus, the makeshift method I used.

Thanks, I'll put this in my todo list to work on when I'm not working on SM5 itself.
--
--
Thanks for the response, I'll be waiting for the changes and about some things that seemed unclear:

- The scoring thing, I was confused because both the grade and scoring % weights were set to something different when I got the theme (to ITG weights) but I figured it out and fixed it.

- Profile name was a gross overlook of mine because I disabled the profile information and forgot it shows the name. Anyway, I don't mind having a lot of information in that but the total played time is not something I'd want to share along with my screenshots. In any case the profile name isn't all that important.

- I actually took a liking to a slightly tilted judge/combo text, so I guess it's a feature.

Everything else is working fine, already having a good time using the theme. Thanks again.