Forums » Themes » Custom arrows for double play?

I have a dance pad with 8 arrows, so I set it up so the four diagonal arrows are the second set of arrows in double mode. I would like it if I could change the second set of arrows on the screen to be diagonal, so it's easier to read. Is there a way to do that?

Last edited: 29 June 2015 1:21pm

Change your game mode to techno and pick the 8 panel choice. Then you'll be playing a game mode actually meant for a single pad with 8 arrows, instead of a game mode meant for 2 pads of 4 arrows.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Change your game mode to techno and pick the 8 panel choice. Then you'll be playing a game mode actually meant for a single pad with 8 arrows, instead of a game mode meant for 2 pads of 4 arrows.
It's also a game mode with no content.

Doubles charts in techno would technically work if you rename the style in the SM file, but the chart will be awful and maybe only barely playable.
He said he was playing double charts using 8 panels on one pad. It's *already* awkward and unplayable. Using autogen in techno mode isn't going to be worse.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
There's like some custom content for techno. Hurtpiggypig on AIJ is pretty much the technomotion fangirl and probably knows more than I do.

Work in Progress
Well I'm making my own step files, so it isn't awkward.
Thanks for the advice! How do I change the gamemode though?

Also, I'm using DDReam Studio, I'm not sure if there's a way to make things for Techno there. Is there a way I can convert doubles to Techno?

(Sorry for the late reply)

Last edited: 12 July 2015 11:51pm

First, make a DDR double chart in DDReam Studio and save it as a .sm file.

At the top of each double chart, there should be a couple lines like this:
#NOTES:

dance-double:

Replace "dance-double" with "techno-single8" and StepMania will proceed to load the chart as an 8-panel techno chart.
You can also rename "dance-single" to "techno-single4" if you want to play 4-panel charts without switching gametypes.

The arrows in techno-single8 mode are laid out as in this picture:

and StepMania will map each column from the double chart to the chart with the same position in the single8 chart (so P1 Left = DownLeft, P1 Down= Left, etc.).

StepMania 5.0.9 includes a techno mode noteskin so you should be able to just select "techno" from the Select Game menu and go. Older versions require you to get a techno noteskin first.

Last edited: 23 July 2015 12:40pm

Got it, thanks!