Forums » Themes » [SM5][WIP Theme] TheKamilia's Theme 0.0.4

Done with alpha 4. Added Kamilia on AAA and AA.

As always, download here: https://github.com/TheKamilia/TheKamilia-s-Theme
This is a good start at making your own theme!

When I was learning to theme, I took other another theme I liked and changed the graphics in it, too. I think that is where many people get started with theming. (If you're curious about learning to theme, I sort of documented/described my journey in this post on the Z-i-V forums: https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/thread?postid=330593#p330593.)

For now, I have two suggestions:
1. A single thread about your theme (here on the StepMania forums) is enough. You don't need to make a new thread every time you update one small aspect of the theme. That is why comments exist. :)

2. You aren't really using GitHub as intended when you upload and re-upload an entire zip of your latest theme again and again.

You can see from any one of your commits the text "Binary file not shown". This is because you are uploading a zip file of your theme, which is a binary file that Git cannot scan through and assess the changes of.

Compare it with this commit from the Simply Love theme where you can easily see what lines of code were changed. Lines of code highlighted in red were deleted; lines of code highlighted in green were added.

Thus, I would encourage you to take some time to get better with Git and Github. There are many tutorials out there, like Github's official tutorial and CodeAcademy's Learn Git Tutorial.

Last edited: 4 July 2017 12:36pm

This is a good start at making your own theme!

When I was learning to theme, I took other another theme I liked and changed the graphics in it, too. I think that is where many people get started with theming. (If you're curious about learning to theme, I sort of documented/described my journey in this post on the Z-i-V forums: https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/thread?postid=330593#p330593.)

For now, I have two suggestions:
1. A single thread about your theme (here on the StepMania forums) is enough. You don't need to make a new thread every time you update one small aspect of the theme. That is why comments exist. :)

2. You aren't really using GitHub as intended when you upload and re-upload an entire zip of your latest theme again and again.

You can see from any one of your commits the text "Binary file not shown". This is because you are uploading a zip file of your theme, which is a binary file that Git cannot scan through and assess the changes of.

Compare it with this commit from the Simply Love theme where you can easily see what lines of code were changed. Lines of code highlighted in red were deleted; lines of code highlighted in green were added.

Thus, I would encourage you to take some time to get better with Git and Github. There are many tutorials out there, like Github's official tutorial and CodeAcademy's Learn Git Tutorial.

Thank you for your response! I will try to improve on the things that you suggested. Thank you for the time you put into this as you wrote a lot.

Cheers,
TheKamilia