Forums » Themes » Modifier text in game play

I just registered on the FFR forum earlier, so I can't post for another 5 hours. Using the ultralight theme, I want to find the file of the modifiers text in the game play at the bottom left in order to make it smaller, or change its position. I've been snooping around the lua files for a couple days now and I'm getting impatient. I would be grateful if anyone could help me with this.
modifiers

Last edited: 30 November 2014 8:33pm

Check Metrics.ini, lines 581 to 590.

# player options

PlayerOptionsP1X=SCREEN_LEFT+8
PlayerOptionsP1Y=SCREEN_BOTTOM-48
PlayerOptionsP1OnCommand=zoom,0.5;halign,0;shadowlength,1;strokecolor,color("#00000000")
PlayerOptionsP1OffCommand=bouncebegin,0.45;y,SCREEN_BOTTOM+16

PlayerOptionsP2X=SCREEN_RIGHT-8
PlayerOptionsP2Y=SCREEN_BOTTOM-48
PlayerOptionsP2OnCommand=zoom,0.5;halign,1;shadowlength,1;strokecolor,color("#00000000")
PlayerOptionsP2OffCommand=bouncebegin,0.45;y,SCREEN_BOTTOM+16

To move the text, experiment with the X and Y values. To shrink the text, change the zoom value to be something less than 0.5.

You could also try leaving those alone, and adding a wrapwidthpixels like:
PlayerOptionsP1OnCommand=zoom,0.5;halign,0;shadowlength,1;strokecolor,color("#00000000");wrapwidthpixels,200

That would enforce line breaks after 200 pixels' worth of text. You could make the value whatever you wanted, of course, not just 200.

Hope this helps.
That did it! Thank you. I'll have to take a closer look at the fallback metrics file more, there are so many variables in the metrics file that I don't have a clue about.
One of my theme goals is to make sure nobody ever wants to fiddle with the metrics in my theme. Wherever possible, provide a way for the player to configure and save settings in a safe way. Modifying metrics.ini is error prone and not compatible with updating the theme to a new version if a new release occurs.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
That is a great goal Kyzentun, and it would be a pleasure to join you on that venture! Also I've been wondering if there's a "dynamic" IDE of sort that displays the visual of the theme, and updates as you change the settings?
The closest you can get to dynamically updating is to use Shift+F2 to reload the Scripts directory, or Shift+F2 to reload metrics.ini (and en.ini, if you're adding translation entries), or hold F3 (debug menu button) and use the Theme section (F6) to reload the screen. Which part you should reload depends on what you change.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Amazing! You guys have been of great help. I would have not known about those tools if you didn't mention it. I'm motivated to mod/create some themes now, but it'll have to wait until after finals haha.