Forums » StepMania Releases » Installing SM5 on Linux

Alright, so I want to take another crack at compiling SM5 on Linux (Fedora 21 specifically). Is the first post up-to-date with getting all the packages needed to compile SM5? And is there any kind of issues I should expect (like needing to change a line on a file or something prior to compiling)?
compiled yesterday on a debian based instead of a redhat one myself, and I used all the packages predefined in the depencency list and it compiled fine
Its not a bug its a FEATURE!
Ran into an issue trying to compile; here's make.out: http://pastebin.com/qiWBTVXe

Not sure if it's just because of 5.0.7 or what; but i'll try with 5.0.6 just in-case.

Here's everything I installed on Fedora 21:
automake autoconf mesa-libGL-devel mesa-libGLU-devel glew-devel xorg-x11-server-devel libXtst-devel libXrandr-devel libpng-devel libjpeg-turbo-devel zlib-devel bzip2-devel libogg-devel libvorbis-devel glibc-devel yasm-devel pulseaudio-libs-devel alsa-lib-devel make automake binutils-devel gtk2-devel libmad-devel

Last edited: 12 March 2015 9:40pm

Does Fedora have a build-essential package or a g++ package? The make.out paste says "line 772: exec: g++: not found", so it sounds like you don't have the compiler (g++) installed.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Ah, alright got that cleared up by installing gcc-c++ So for the most part; everything seems fine, including video playback :)

Seems to be an odd sync thing going on though, but not too sure (doesn't seem to be any A/V desync; but timings for hitting arrows seems off; could be that I'm just used to oITG). SIMPLY LOVE also has text that's really tiny for some reason (normal SM5 theme is fine).

Edit: You need to install joystick-support under F21 in order to get gamepads and the likes working properly (including dance pads going through a PSX-to-USB converter). Before installing that; my gamepad worked "somewhat" (sometimes it'd be fine, other times it wouldn't register hits; oITG didn't detect it at all). Afterwards, both SM5 and oITG saw my adapter and handled the pads without problem.

As for the A/V sync thing; oITG had a Global Offset out the box (I think -0.062 or something). SM5 has a 0 offset out the box. Doing a manual sync on my machine with SM5 gave me a value close to the one oITG had.

And as for the theme; Ultralight works great.

So SM5 on Fedora 21 (i686; actual F21 with GNOME and not a spin) runs great for me, and compiled without problem. The complete dependency list for F21 is:

sudo yum install automake autoconf mesa-libGL-devel mesa-libGLU-devel glew-devel xorg-x11-server-devel libXtst-devel libXrandr-devel libpng-devel libjpeg-turbo-devel zlib-devel bzip2-devel libogg-devel libvorbis-devel glibc-devel yasm-devel pulseaudio-libs-devel alsa-lib-devel make automake binutils-devel gtk2-devel libmad-devel libstdc++-devel gcc-c++ joystick-support

After installing all of that; compiling SM5 (at the time of writing) should be fine (commands in first post), and running it afterwards should be fine as well.

Last edited: 15 March 2015 6:36am

I have built stepmania 5.0.6 on fedora 21.

here's the rpm: http://teknolust.org/static/stepmania-5.0.6-1.fc21.x86_64.rpm
i'm doing some larger-scale work with fedora21 in general, creating an all-purpose spin of f21 designed to be used on arcade cabinets: http://github.com/sherl0k/InstallTheGroove

my git repo also has notes on how the RPM was made (please read the STATUS file along with grabbing the spec otherwise you won't be able to build it).
How did you package SM5 in a RPM? Also another slightly related question; is there a way to install SM5 into a location like /opt after compiling it, like make install or something?
How did you package SM5 in a RPM? Also another slightly related question; is there a way to install SM5 into a location like /opt after compiling it, like make install or something?

by running ./configure --? :
By default, `make install' will install all the files in

`/opt/bin', `/opt/lib' etc. You can specify
an installation prefix other than `/opt' using `--prefix',
for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.

the spec file for building stepmania 5.0.6 is on my git repo along with directions for usage (read the STATUS and TODO.md file).
Updated first post with instructions to use cmake.
cmake is the only supported method for building Stepmania now.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit