Forums » StepMania Development » Exporting Now Playing Metadata

Good day. I'm wondering if there is a known way to get my hands on the name of the song currently being played in Stepmania 5. (Using the most recent version.)

If this requires me to get my hands dirty in Stepmania's code, could someone point me at documentation? Thank you ahead of time for any assistance.
Not seeing is believing.
Ah yes, this topic again. (I've helped someone with it privately in the past.)

This is going to require theme editing, and won't exactly be straightforward, depending on your needs.

The base code I use writes to a text file on ScreenEvaluation. I would need to know a lot more about your desired output/goals in order to help customize it to your liking, so let me know what information you'd like to be output, when it should be output, what theme you're using, and so on.

Last edited: 30 January 2015 5:13pm

I appreciate the reply. I am running CyberiaStyle8 as my theme. I want to get at the title, album and artist information for the song if possible. I'd also love to get my hands dirty if possible. The good news is I'm willing to try to feed myself. The bad news is I have no experience working with Stepmania or LUA.

My goal is simply to output the info above to a text file. I'll then be adding that as a text source with OBS.

Is there a more convenient way to communicate? This works but is a tad inefficient.

Thank you again for your time.

EDIT: Looking at the instructions given, I see that he says to put this code into the Evaluation screen. I'm wondering if it's possible to call this script before playing a song to get the information of the "current song."

Last edited: 30 January 2015 6:07pm

Not seeing is believing.
You can join the developer IRC channel: #stepmania-devs on irc.freenode.net
If freem is active, that can be faster.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Y'all are beautiful. Thanks again for code and moral support!
Not seeing is believing.
I'll post the code here in case someone else needs it. I only changed a tiny bit from freem's original code.
New version
--
--
... there was a post here from someone looking to use it in CyberiaStyle 8, and now that post has mysteriously vanished. Well, I guess that means I don't have to crack open CS8 to make an example of where to insert the LoadActor line that is explained in the comments of the lua code or point out Docs/Luadoc/Lua.xml with its list of all song functions for fetching the group name and album name.
--
--
it was a spambot copying part of albinohat's second post in the thread