Forums » Songs » Song Packs like Cloud's Nightwish Mix?

Hey there!

I've been playing the easiest 3 of the 5 or 6 songs in Cloud's Nightwish Mix lately and really loving them (can be found in the huge list of downloadable packs: http://stepmaniaonline.net/index.php?page=downloads ). The epic fantasy-metal feel's a lot of fun to dance/workout too, and they're at just the right difficulty that I'm barely able to keep up, but can do them on Endless for a solid 30-40 mins straight.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody knew of any similar packs? I tried Charlo's Metal Simfiles packs, and the sound/beat of the songs is what I'm looking for, but I find the steps a lot more difficult to follow; even setting things to 0.5-speed, there's not a single song in his entire pack that I've managed to get a passing grade on yet. Soooo, if anyone has any suggestions for packs similar in difficulty and genre to Cloud's Nightwish, or suggestions on how to further mod packs like Charlo's to my current ability level (maybe I can mess around with the source code to get it to go at 0.25 x speed or something?), that'd be sweet.

Thanks!

Last edited: 10 April 2014 10:07am

It's not very hard to add custom speedmods actually; SM5 all you'd have to do is add it in speedmods.txt, but on other SM versions it's a simple add-in to metrics.ini and english.ini of the theme you're using (under [ScreenOptionsMaster] in the metrics and [OptionsNames] in english.ini I believe? Might have to double check that).

As far as pack suggestions, maybe try giving Gazebo's Kamelot pack a try? It's got some pretty fun files from 9 to 14 on ITG scale. Xi has got some heavy rockish stuff too I think that might be worth checking out. There's also a Dragonforce pack and Rhapsody of Fire pack but they're a bit more challenging than the other two suggestions (13-16 on same scale).

Last edited: 10 April 2014 12:39pm

Work in Progress
Oh, that's way easier than I'd anticipated! No independent compiling of source code or anything fun like that. I'll go ahead and play around with some custom speed mods then and see if I can slowly work myself back up to a normal speed mod.

That Kamelot pack might be about my speed, not sure. Some of the Charlo's ones are listed as 9's and still just utterly destroy me, heh, although I survive maybe an extra 10 seconds on those relative to their 12-16 kin. But I'll download the 9-11's from Kamelot; no way to know without trying them out.

Thanks!

Last edited: 10 April 2014 3:45pm

fwiw charlos's files are keyboard files and these are pad files

Work in Progress
Oh, yeah? Cool. Maybe that helps to explain why I was having so much trouble with the Charlo's files, haha.

edit: That must be it! These look much more doable. Thanks!

Last edited: 11 April 2014 5:04am

These songs are fantastic! Exactly what I wanted---just beat my 3rd one of 'em, all 9's and 10's but I'm feeling pretty damned good about it! Even beat one with some weights on my wrists, totally hyped about it. Wanted to come and say thanks again! Still can't believe I was confusing keypad songs with pad songs, no wonder I was so demoralized, haha.