Forums » News » StepMania 5.0.7 released

The reason for x64 stepmania is to load larger libraries and utilize more RAM, more efficiently, in database tasks such as sorting, etc. SM5 themes are progressing to the point where we can do complex sorting/caching much like any other library program can (I compare it to iTunes where you can sort by almost anything as long as the metadata is present).
I know what the point of 64 bit support is. Think is kyzen added a new method to load in songs when you start stepmania which works like a dream. Even then when I open the task manager on my machine the max memory I've seen stepmania using is 1.5 gbs of ram (and that was running a high end theme). It's pretty safe to say that for now stepmania 5 doesn't require more than 4 gbs of ram even running crazy high end themes.

I mean, this is a game about hitting arrows. Does that really need to be given access to more than 4 gbs of total memory?

The 32-bit memory limit is 2GB per process.
Hello, I would like to know what kind of pc desktop I need to buy in order to play stepmania. Also I would only use it for stepmania and music. Thanks :)
Any new computer will be just fine, as long as you don't get something with an old model Intel GMA (Intel HD is fine) graphics chip. SM should be no problem on anything built this decade.
Hi, I have just downloaded StepMania 5.0.7 and added songs to the application but when I open StepMania it is set up to use a keyboard and not my dance mat. How do I connect my dance mat to StepMania? Thanks Aleena
Go into the options and pick Config Key/Joy Mapping and map the buttons on the pad if you can.
It should show up in the device list at the top if it's usable at all.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit