Get it while it's hot right here on the downloads page! The last few months since the previous release have been almost entirely bug fixes, work on translations and some nice stuff added by Kyzentun, full details here (regular users, please at least read the first section, it's not too long!).
Happy Valentine's Day from the StepMania team!
If you are just now upgrading from 3.9x, here's just a few of the changes:
Spoiler (click to view)
* PIU support vastly improved
* New game modes
* BMS support improved significantly, although still nowhere near on par with a dedicated BMS player
* Support for more I/O devices
* Theming engine is now based on the Lua programming language (since late '07, actually, we've been working with this for a very long time). Please read the manual!
* Warps, Lift notes, Fake notes, Scroll segments and more. Tons of new features for simfiles to use and abuse. Please be gentle.
* A new default theme (which supports many of the new features)
* Automatic speed mod calculation using M-mods, which many of you may be familiar with from OpenITG. Simfile authors, please fill in your #DISPLAYBPM tags if you use speed gimmicks, so that these work properly.
* Arbitrary speed mods can be selected from the menus, no more need to edit any files.
* Online support, although still buggy (only new if you're coming from 3.9) as nobody has worked on this in a couple years.
* Loading time optimizations for large simfile collections, even without fast load.
* Bazillions of other things - a lot happens in 10 years.
Please note that save file locations and where you should install songs, themes, noteskins and other content has changed in 5.0 due to write access restrictions in modern operating systems. Content should now be installed to the relevant userdata location for your platform, on Windows this is %APPDATA%/StepMania 5, for everything else see here.
For the old behavior, you can make a file called "Portable.ini" in your StepMania folder (make absolutely sure the game is not installed in a write-protected location such as Program Files!).
If you spot any problems, please let us know in the thread or report the issue on GitHub.
Last edited: 15 February 2015 11:58am