Forums » General StepMania » StepMania on Windows Phone

Since Windows Phone doesn't support .exe Files and a lot of Stepmania Games on Windows Store are not good enough.

Have any plans or updates for the Official Game Release on Windows Phone?
-EES™
There is a port of Love2D to Windows Phone, and currently StepMania 6 is planned to be based on a heavily modified variant of Love2D. If that is the case when it is finished, which will be years from now, it might be possible to port StepMania 6 to Windows Phone with far less effort than a StepMania 5 port would take. However, Windows Phone isn't a terribly popular platform and I'd imagine that no version of StepMania will support it out of the box in the foreseeable future.

Last edited: 12 December 2015 10:18pm

There is a port of Love2D to Windows Phone, and currently StepMania 6 is planned to be based on a heavily modified variant of Love2D. If that is the case when it is finished, which will be years from now, it might be possible to port StepMania 6 to Windows Phone with far less effort than a StepMania 5 port would take. However, Windows Phone isn't a terribly popular platform and I'd imagine that no version of StepMania will support it out of the box in the foreseeable future.
Alright then...
-EES™
By the way, they should try Unity. (It's similar to Love2D...)
-EES™

First off, Unity is not in any way similar to Love2D. You can't even use Lua with it out of the box.

Secondly, I don't think you understand exactly what "based on" means. StepMania 6 is not going to be a Love2D game. I have tried making a music game in unmodified Love2D and there are some relatively serious limitations that get in the way of proper synchronization. It also has no 3D support, which makes a number of relatively standard StepMania interface features and modifiers a no-go. StepMania 6 will be made by taking Love2D source code and changing it in many different ways, including adding bits of code taken from StepMania 5 where appropriate. It also will be released as open source, which would be impossible were StepMania 6 based on Unity's source code, which cannot even be seen without an enterprise license that includes source access. I imagine this costs more money than anybody in the SM team would be able to spend.

First off, Unity is not in any way similar to Love2D. You can't even use Lua with it out of the box.

Secondly, I don't think you understand exactly what "based on" means. StepMania 6 is not going to be a Love2D game. I have tried making a music game in unmodified Love2D and there are some relatively serious limitations that get in the way of proper synchronization. It also has no 3D support, which makes a number of relatively standard StepMania interface features and modifiers a no-go. StepMania 6 will be made by taking Love2D source code and changing it in many different ways, including adding bits of code taken from StepMania 5 where appropriate. It also will be released as open source, which would be impossible were StepMania 6 based on Unity's source code, which cannot even be seen without an enterprise license that includes source access. I imagine this costs more money than anybody in the SM team would be able to spend.

It's written in C++, Assembly Language, Lua.

I didn't tell that they are using Love2D Game Engine... I only told that they should try Unity.
You told earlier about Love2D and I said also the similar Game Engine (Unity).
So we're off-topic about that earlier... Right?
-EES™
Anyway, In the short thing... We hope for Stepmania 6 will come soon. Maybe in 2016...
-EES™
Probably not. And even then it won't have Windows Phone support.