Forums » General StepMania » What features would you like to see in SM5?

What features would you like to see in SM5?

Post the features you would like to see in SM5 and how much you're willing to pay for them. Email me at kyzentun at gmail dot com to make arrangements.

As you all know, StepMania is written by volunteers. As one of those volunteers, I personally am unemployed and thus have plenty of free time to spend on StepMania. But I'd also like to eat. So if you have a suggestion, I'm going to ignore it unless you can back it up with money.

Some suggestions would involve a huge amount of work, and thus would require a lot of backing to even consider working on. Obviously multiple people should pool their money for such suggestions.

Anything that requires theme side support will not show up in the default theme unless there's an additional $100 backing for it. They'll be implemented in Consensual regardless, because I have to make sure they work, but the default theme is not my domain, so it's more troublesome to change.

Suggestions should range from small API additions to bug fixes.

Unreasonable suggestions:

Rewrite edit mode from scratch. ($10k, 6 months work)
If I touch edit mode at all, It's not going to be for "add this one little feature". Adding little bits at a time it not the way to go, and the underlying structure has limitations that I personally want to change. I'd like to simultaneously edit and view multiple charts.

4/N Player/pad mode. ($15k, 8 months work)
As far as I'm concerned, more than 2 players or more than 2 pads is such a small niche it's not worth making stuff for. Plus, almost literally everything that touches players is based on having only 2. This would also involve rewriting edit mode to support making content for the extra pads.

With the big "not going to happen, ever" stuff out of the way, post your smaller, reasonable, suggestions for features to add to the StepMania engine.

Additionally, if you want me to write lua for your SM5 theme, I can do that too. Writing lua can be hard, and you just want to make pretty looking graphics. That's why "artist" and "programmer" are separate jobs. Or you have a solid idea, but no skill (or free time) to implement it.
I can also convert some lua-based simfile to work on SM5, that can be handled on a case-by-case basis. Theme and simfile work will only be done on the nightly builds, and I'll add engine features if I feel like I need to, so any lua I write will not necessarily work on beta 3.

What I'm currently working on:
Error reporting. A convenient way to see errors encountered while running theme code or loading metrics, without opening the log file. Additionally, any theme error that used to crash stepmania will print an error through this system instead (unless it's seriously fatal, some things cannot be protected against).

Someone paid me to convert TaroNuke's "KarateMan" simfile, so here's that.
KarateMan

Last edited: 11 July 2014 11:44pm

< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit