Forums » General Questions » How do I uninstall Stepmania 5 completely?

So I create simfiles and I recently made one on my Stepmania 3.9 after making it on Stepmania 5 for a bit. I ended up switching over because I was just more comfortable with 3.9. I only put in a few steps on my Stepmania 5 and decided to switch. I completed the simfile on my Stepmania 3.9 but the thing is, if I were to move it back to Stepmania 5, it would only show the progress I had on Stepmania 5 (which is the few steps that I put in before switching.) I can't seem to fully transfer my simfile to Stepmania 5. I tried uninstalling Stepmania 5 and re-downloading but the problem is there since in Control Panel, you can't completely uninstall Stepmania 5. There is still some registry left in the system. I wanna know if there's a way to completely remove Stepmania 5 so I can re-download it and clean out all its memory. Unless there is another solution to my problem where I can transfer this song to Stepmania 5 without having this issue. Can anyone help?
It sounds like you're having a problem with the cache and the .ssc version of the simfile.
When you edit a simfile in SM5, it puts the steps in both the .sm file and the .ssc file inside the song folder. The .sm exists for backwards compatibility, the .ssc exists because that's the format SM5 is migrating to and prefers.
So when SM5 goes to load the song, it loads the .ssc file. But since you did most of your editing in SM 3.9, all your steps are in the .sm file.
If the .ssc file is deleted, SM5 will be confused because the cache will still say that there is a .ssc file to load. The cache stores some basic information on every simfile in %APPDATA%/StepMania 5.0/Cache/Songs/ (one file per song, there will be a lot of files in that folder if you have a lot of songs, so beware of opening it). If the cache file for a song doesn't exist, SM5 will regenerate it with up to date info. Normally, edit mode takes care of updating the cache file as needed whenever changes are made, so people don't have to worry about what's in it unless they make changes outside of stepmania.
So, the simple solution is probably to delete the .ssc file in the song folder and the %APPDATA%/StepMania 5.0/Cache/Songs/ folder (so SM5 will rebuild the entire cache). That should get all the steps loading for you in SM5.

SM5 stores all other configuration data in %APPDATA%/StepMania 5.0/, so you'd have to delete that to really clean off everything, but that shouldn't be necessary.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit