Forums » General Questions » Linux Mint Install Question for 5.0.11 SM 5.

Hi ,

I downloaded the linux tar.gz file from the main stepmaina 5 download area. From the look of the files in the archive, it seems like it is a ready-to-go playable install of SM 5 as there is all of the required folders and a stepmaina executable file.
However, when I double click on the executable file to presumably launch SM 5 , nothing happens.

I couldn't find a install instructions inside the archive. So I am wondering if the download archive acquired from the main download page above is actually still a non-built version of SM and the existing build instructions post for 5.0.6 is still applicable?

Thanks.
This compiling guide on the github wiki is the most recent.
The archive on the download page should be runnable in theory, but if you're not on an amd64 system, it probably doesn't work.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Thank you for your quick response!

I am running on a 64 bit amd dual core system and Linux Mint 17.3 64-bit. It is hard to tell what is the problem as there are no errors. Simply nothing happens when I try to run stepmaina(application/x-executable) file after extracting the contents of the archive to a place with proper permissions.

I guess I could go the compile route. However, I was hoping the archive from the download page would be an easier and quicker route.

Stepmania expects to be run from a terminal. Check out the "Making a Launcher" section of the compile guide.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit