Forums » General Questions » Mac 64-bit?

Could you guys and girls start building the Mac version for 64-bit?

Xcode and the various Mac compilers have supported 64-bit for a decade, and 2019's version of macOS is going to drop 32-bit support. In fact, the first time you play Stepmania on the macOS 10.14 ("Mojave"), you get a warning that the developer needs to update the app.
FWIW, I tried to solve my own problem by building from source, but the Mac build is broken (at least on my machine, running macOS 10.14 and Xcode 10). The ogg and vorbis targets fail, apparently because they depend on a long-gone version of the C++ standard libraries.

Showing All Messages

warning: include path for stdlibc++ headers not found; pass '-std=libc++' on the command line to use the libc++ standard library instead [-Wstdlibcxx-not-found]
1 warning generated.
Ld Debug/cmTC_f4d2d normal x86_64
cd /Users/cadamson/dev/stepmania/Build/ogg-prefix/src/ogg-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang++ -arch x86_64 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk -L/Users/cadamson/dev/stepmania/Build/ogg-prefix/src/ogg-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/Debug -F/Users/cadamson/dev/stepmania/Build/ogg-prefix/src/ogg-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/Debug -filelist /Users/cadamson/dev/stepmania/Build/ogg-prefix/src/ogg-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.build/Debug/cmTC_f4d2d.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/cmTC_f4d2d.LinkFileList -mmacosx-version-min=10.7 -Xlinker -no_deduplicate -Wl,-search_paths_first -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Xlinker -dependency_info -Xlinker /Users/cadamson/dev/stepmania/Build/ogg-prefix/src/ogg-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.build/Debug/cmTC_f4d2d.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/cmTC_f4d2d_dependency_info.dat -o /Users/cadamson/dev/stepmania/Build/ogg-prefix/src/ogg-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/Debug/cmTC_f4d2d
clang: warning: libstdc++ is deprecated; move to libc++ with a minimum deployment target of OS X 10.9 [-Wdeprecated]
ld: library not found for -lstdc++
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
** BUILD FAILED **

Moving up to a more recent minimum OS version doesn't help, but it's probably worth considering if it fixes any other problems. 10.7 is eight years old at this point… very few Macs will still be running it.

I might poke at this a little bit to see if I can get it happy, but I'm pretty busy ATM and not familiar with CMake so… don't count on it? Sorry.

Last edited: 6 October 2018 6:20am