Forums » General Questions » 2-Player with Two separate pads?

Hi everyone, I'm new to DDR but have been increasing interested in it as I play osu! a lot.
I'm looking to buy a pad for my computer (any recommended starters?) or two, and was wondering if I buy two of them, can I use them on one computer.
For example, doing a Versus and having me play on one dance pad, and my friend on the other at the same time.
Thanks for any help!
Yes, that should work perfectly as long as you make sure the map the buttons for both pads.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Thank you so much for the quick reply! I assumed it would work and didn't think anything of it til tonight so I just wanted to check before I dropped the money.
I'm not sure if you have purchased dance pads for beginner-intermediate levels, but I was trying to decide between something with the full 1-inch insert or just the flat non-slip pad. Any idea which would be better (more so if the foam pad is worth the extra money)?
Yeah, I don't know about pads at that level. When I started out, I knew after the first month that I was going to be playing this game for a long time, and I had plenty of money, so I bought the best pads I could find. (a pair of Cobalt Fluxes, which are no longer manufactured)
I'd say, if you know you're going to be playing this game a lot for the next several years, go ahead and buy top of the line pads that will last throughout it, rather than lower end pads that you'll end up wanting to replace in a year or less.
If you're still not sure, a flat pad will probably last 3-4 months of 2-3 hours a day (at least, my konami pads bundled with the PS2 games did), and by then you'll know whether you're going to be playing enough to want the very best pads.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Thank you so much for the quick reply! I assumed it would work and didn't think anything of it til tonight so I just wanted to check before I dropped the money.
I'm not sure if you have purchased dance pads for beginner-intermediate levels, but I was trying to decide between something with the full 1-inch insert or just the flat non-slip pad. Any idea which would be better (more so if the foam pad is worth the extra money)?

I started out with flat and foam pads, I literally destroyed 12 soft pads in my first year of playing and then I got the Cobalt Flux pads which last me almost 3-years. I play really hard and I'm big so I tore up many pads.

I would recommend getting the foam insert pads, they just feel better than the flat pads, easier on your feet and feel better to play on. Just make sure that you get USB dance pads that work with your operating system. Then when you become totally addicted check out our pads.
I pretty much agree with what PrayerWarrior said.
Grab a cheap pad or two to see if you're really into the game.
The foam insert pads feel significantly better than the flat soft pads to me, but they're also more expensive.
A pad like the ones from Precision Dance Pads is much better than either of those options, but it's also significantly more money.
You can definitely play 2 players with two separate pads, assuming you have two USB-compatible pads and map the inputs in Stepmania.
You could get one foam insert pad and take turns if the money is a concern.
If you get really into it though, you'd probably want two pads, and probably better quality ones.
I've had flat soft pads, DDRGame foam insert pads, and Precision Dance Pads' Omega GX, so I have experience with all of those.
Ultimately though, just make sure whatever pad you get is USB-compatible.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

For what it's worth, the soft pads I've had have always lasted a few months of moderate use, and then an arrow usually starts getting less responsive.
If you get a soft pad and it slides around a lot, you may wish to consider taping it to a piece of fiberboard/wood/etc. That also helps keep the electronics from shifting around inside the pad and may make it last longer.

Last edited: 9 September 2014 7:07pm