Forums » General Questions » How do you prevent StepMania 5 from saving to Libraries\Documents

Is there a way to get StepMania 5 to save to it's own folder rather than the C drive?
You can make a file called "portable.ini" in the stepmania folder. I don't recommend doing that because it makes upgrading more difficult. Without portable.ini, you can put themes and noteskins and songs in the appdata folder, and it'll be preserved when you upgrade or reinstall. If you use portable.ini, then all that stuff has to be in the stepmania folder, which means that when you upgrade or reinstall you have to carefully copy it to the new install.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
What if I want to use multiple StepMania 5's with different preferences in order to account for my massive StepMania package collection? I think I would like to create a portable.ini
That's fine as long as you're aware of the effect.
I said what I said because I've had to help people who had weird problems caused by accidentally copying the _fallback theme from an older version into a newer version. Putting custom themes in appdata makes a larger separation between custom content and core content, which reduces the risk of that sort of problem.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
I'll head your warning the next time StepMania 5 updates. The Portable.ini solution is working fine so far

Last edited: 16 March 2016 3:21am

Is there anyway to do the same thing with StepMania 3.95 CVS and StepMania 4.0 CVS?