Forums » General Questions » How do I add songs

Hi I just downloaded stepmania 5 for windows and it comes with 3 songs so I looked up more on the forums and downloaded them. But they became files on my desktop and I have no idea how to add them to stepmania. It would be fantastic if someone could help me because I can only play the 3 demo songs so many times.
Normally songs are distributed as zipped folders full of songs. When you unzip the pack, you get a folder full of song folders. This is a song pack. Find %appdata%/StepMania 5.0/Songs/ and put the song packs in there after unzipping them.

Many people will tell you to put song packs in the Songs folder in the Stepmania 5 install. But if you do that, you'll have to move the songs when you upgrade. If you use the appdata folder instead, you don't have to move the songs when upgrading.

The equivalent folder on OS X is ~/Library/Application Support/StepMania 5/Songs/.
On Linux it's ~/.stepmania-5.0/Songs/.
There are similar folders for Themes, NoteSkins, and other content.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Hi Kyzentun. I've done what you said about putting the song pack on the song folder but the problem is that the game doesn't detect the songs as a pack but as an individual song if you see what i mean. So if i want to play a specific song i need to scroll up or down through ALL the songs that i have because the game can't detect packs, dunno why :c . It worked well before but not anymore. I would like some help in this case since it's pretty annoying and i lost a lot of time because of it. Thanks =)

P.S.: I've tried multiple versions of Stepmania but still the same error :'(

Last edited: 5 March 2016 6:29pm

Stepmania recognizes song groups just fine. You're probably misunderstanding some part of the explanation.

So you open up the folder named "Songs" and you see a folder named "Stepmania 5". The folder named "Stepmania 5" is a pack or group folder. If you open it up, you see folders for "Goin' Under", "Springtime", and "Mechatribe Assault". Those are song folders. Inside each song folder, you see a .ogg file for the audio, a .ssc file for the chart, and some images for the background, banner, and various other image fields.
If you make another folder inside the folder named "Songs", it will be another group folder and you can put song folders inside it. Then in game, the songs in the different groups will be in different sections on the music wheel that you can open and close.

So for example, I open up my folder named "Songs", and I see "Stepmania 5", "ITG", "FFR" folders inside it. In game, I have sections on the music wheel for "Stepmania 5", "ITG", and "FFR". If I open up one section, I can see the songs inside it and pick one.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Hi Kyzentun, it doesn't work. It's like this: StepMania 5 > Songs > Community Keyboard Megapack - Volume 1 > (Aperson) Attack > bunch of files inside (such as background, banner, audio, sm)

The game won't detect the pack...
I dunno if it doesn't work because i installed SM5 on an external hard drive but i thought i should write it down here...
I'm sorry if i'm such a bother.

EDIT: It seems i was right :D I moved my Songs folder to Stepmania installed on the pc and it works but not on my external hard drive. Oh well...

Last edited: 13 March 2016 12:12pm