Forums » General Questions » Mini Effect Editing

Hi all,

I'm currently using the ultralight theme and trying to figure out how to make the notes just a tiny bit smaller (basically add 30% mini effect I saw on Etienne's stream) but with a lot of digging on the interweb and metrics.ini I still can't figure out how to make this work.

Alternatively if anyone knows where to find the mini effect code to modify that multiplier that would also work.

Also if anyone knows how to make static images the default background in the song options I'd be much appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

Gurtrude
It's probably easier to use a theme that was made with this in mind rather than dig into metrics yourself. Lots of people have had the same problem.

I made the options screen in Consensual so that people wouldn't have to edit the theme for options like this.
I've also got a pause menu on gameplay so you can pause mid-song to adjust your options and see the effects immediately.

Staiain's ultralight edit (which you can find on his stream) appears to already have 33% Mini and 66% Mini already. (though it doesn't work with 2 players, so I haven't tried to use it, I'm just looking at the metrics)
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Hey I downloaded consensual prior to making this after reading another post but sadly for some reason it kept going to default theme and it took me a lot of angry mashing to figure out how to change it back.

The reason I wanted to go into metrics.ini is because I have a lot of coding experience so if I could figure this one thing out to get started it kinda leads on to hopefully making a custom version of the theme, but I can understand if its an absolute nightmare.

I will try Staian's edit I don't suppose you happen to have the link, I tried googling around but I guess I can wait for him to stream because have yet to have any luck in finding it. I don't mind if it doesn't work for 2p as I probably won't play 8k for a while yet.

Thanks for the help.

edit: Nevermind I found it like less than a minute after posting, isn't that always the way.

Last edited: 19 January 2016 3:23pm

Consensual typically shows a message to explain why. Either you're trying to run it on an old version of Stepmania, or you're trying to run it with the d3d renderer.
If you want to try it with the d3d renderer, disable this check, take some screenshots, and compare them to mine. I got some reports that things looked really weird with d3d, so I stuck it in the version check.

Before I start explaining the metrics, I should say that I haven't used them to do useful work in over a year. They can't be dynamically generated or modified in many cases, so building a generalized system off of them tends to be a copy paste pain.

So you see something like this in the metrics:
EffectsReceptor="6;selectmultiple"

EffectsReceptorDefault="mod,no confusion,no invert,no flip,no mini,no xmode"
EffectsReceptor,1="mod,confusion;name,Confusion"
EffectsReceptor,2="mod,invert;name,Invert"
EffectsReceptor,3="mod,Flip;name,Flip"
EffectsReceptor,4="mod,mini;name,Mini"
EffectsReceptor,5="mod,-35% mini;name,Big"
EffectsReceptor,6="mod,45% xmode;name,XMode"

That creates an option row with 6 choices and allows the player to select multiple choices on the row.
Each option is one GameCommand. In this case, each one is setting the name field of the GameCommand, which will be displayed, and the mod field, which will be applied to the player. There's a whole load of mods listed in PlayerOptions.cpp. You can see how to change -35% to the percentage you want.
--
--
It was the d3d renderer causing the issue for consensual it appears.

In any rates I figured it out now and got it working by using Staiain's mod after going through like 3 of his older themes.

Ah it was the EffectsReceptor call that wasn't in the default ultralight metrics.ini that was causing my headscratching, I should have looked in the _fallback file as that was referenced as the default go to location and modified it there (at least that's how I think it works at a glance, could be horribly wrong on that though but I'll figure it out). My mistake for not looking hard enough.

That's more than enough to get me started which is all I needed. I appreciate the help a lot!
Anything you put in the metrics.ini of a theme will replace the corresponding thing in _fallback/metrics.ini. _fallback is for devs to edit. So you should never edit _fallback when working on a personal theme.
--
--