Forums » General Questions » Do all pc-compatible pads work with StepMania?

I want to play dance dance revolution, but I don't have a pad. Before I go and buy a pad that doesn't work, hints or tips about buying a dance pad would be welcome. Soft pads seem unpractical, but are there any recommendations? Do all pc-compatible pads work with StepMania?

(English not a native language. Sorry in advance for grammar mistakes)
Negative, there are PC compatible pads that don't work with every operating system. If you get one that works with your OS and actually does then you won't have a problem in stepmania.
This is one of those times where I wish the stepmania compatibility chart from the old site was still around where users report if a pad or controller works or not.

Not all USB dance pads are compatible. For example the xbox360 dance pads for DDR universe does not allow you to hold opposite direction arrows unless load a driver to remap keys and correct the issue.

Soft pads are a good introduction pad to Stepmania because they're so cheap. Most you will find are for playstation 2 which is okay. There are such adapters as Playstation2 to USB converters which do work on PC's which tend to work alright. I can't say those adapters are the greatest in the world because depending on the USB bus you can get some latency with them.

If you do dive into the world of hard-pads. The only thing I would honestly warn anyone against is stay away from Ebay hard-pads shipped from china - The price tag will catch your eye with free shipping and all at a fraction of the price of a GOOD hard-pad. And they might even look nice. But due to poor plywood builds they will warp and break on you in a months time.

I got pads from ddrgame.com with the 4x connector. Wii, ps2, Xbox, pc. They work great. Just went to options and mapped the arrows to the pad arrows and done. Worked right out of the box.
Here's the last captured copy of the page from 2005

So I you con still get an of these I'm not so sure

https://web.archive.org/web/20050728121202/http://www.stepmania.com/stepmania/adapter.php

Last edited: 18 January 2016 8:16am

I got pads from ddrgame.com with the 4x connector. Wii, ps2, Xbox, pc. They work great. Just went to options and mapped the arrows to the pad arrows and done. Worked right out of the box.

I went to the site, and I don't think they ship to Europe. Also, every pad compatible with pc is out of stock. :(
This is one of those times where I wish the stepmania compatibility chart from the old site was still around where users report if a pad or controller works or not.

Soft pads are a good introduction pad to Stepmania because they're so cheap. Most you will find are for playstation 2 which is okay. There are such adapters as Playstation2 to USB converters which do work on PC's which tend to work alright. I can't say those adapters are the greatest in the world because depending on the USB bus you can get some latency with them.

If you do dive into the world of hard-pads. The only thing I would honestly warn anyone against is stay away from Ebay hard-pads shipped from china - The price tag will catch your eye with free shipping and all at a fraction of the price of a GOOD hard-pad. And they might even look nice. But due to poor plywood builds they will warp and break on you in a months time.

I would want to dive in the world of hard-pads. Ddrgame.com proved to be of no help. Do you have a tip where I can buy a hard or metal pad, and where they ship to Europe? Does Ebay have any good hard-pads?
good hard pads: build it yourself, buy a machine (or even just the pads and do some funky rewiring), pray you can find a cobalt flux/blueshark/afterburner on ebay or whatever

overpriced pads: ddrgame

affordable shit pads: anything on ddrgame that's below $1k

not sure if prayerwarrior's omega pads are able to ship to you but they seem to be the best balance of price/performance right now (not counting shipping) (which would actually probably suck getting overseas :s).

Work in Progress