Forums » General Questions » Compiling Stepmania 5 VS Hang

Hi everyone. I'm not new to Stepmania but I've never compiled it from source before so please excuse my ignorance.

I want to reconfigure the parallel port for parallel port light output in SM5, but according to this page I'm going to have to build and recompile the source after changing the necessary files. I'm using CMake 3.4.0 and Visual Studio 2015 for the build. CMake generates the .sln just fine but when I try to build it with VS it just hangs at around 80% (my CPU is up at 100% until that point and then drops off to normal, but the build never finishes)

I'm sure this is something extremely simple but as I said, I'm new to this so I apologize for the dump question.

Thanks for all you do :)

EDIT: Forgot to add that VS throws no errors in the course of the build but exactly 405 warnings before it hangs.

Last edited: 18 November 2015 1:22am

Warnings: it used to be a lot more warnings, trust me. There are technically a lot more warnings that could show due to how...well, improper the code is at points. But that's neither here nor there.

I had missed the announcement of a new version of CMake. I installed it, cleaned my cache, and built it. Saw no issues. Some files do take longer to compile than others (ScreenEdit.cpp, I'm looking at you).

The main thing I cannot test yet is the parallel port stuff. Have you already made modifications to the parallel lights dll or the source used to create that? (Where IS said source for that DLL anyway?) Are there other programs running that could be taking up CPU cycles?

If it matters, I build on Windows using Windows 8.1 in a Parallels VM.
@wolfman2000 (not sure how/if quoting works on this forum)

Thanks for the tip. The strangest thing happened - I looked in my Build folder and .exe file has appeared. I've probably tried the build 10+ times over the past few days and it has never succeeded, but it seems to have worked anyway. How odd.

Anyway, the link to the preferred inpout32.dll in the thread I referenced seems to be dead now. You can get it from this download now: http://solid-orange.com/hacks/stepmania-in-the-groove-improved-light-output

At this point, however, I think I might as well try out this "improved light output" because the author claims they have improved the file so that you can edit the parallel port address via a .ini file without having to rebuild each time. If it works I'll report back (it will be some time before I get my hands on the USB to serial adapter I'm planning to use). I'm running Windows 10 and the inpout32.dll was built for Windows XP so I'm not sure it will work.