Forums » General Questions » Can't use ALSA drivers with SM5 on Debian Linux x86_64

Hi,

I have the same trouble of here: http://www.stepmania.com/forums/general-questions/show/2208 with StepMania5.0-git-66edc2d on Debian 8.2 x86_64.

I tried running StepMania with pasuspender, with SoundDevice=plughw:0,3, SoundDrivers=alsa-sw on ~/stepmania5.0/Save/Preferences.ini and I get this output running the game:

ALSA: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k3.16.0-4-amd64.

ALSA Driver: 0: HDA Intel PCH [PCH], device 0: ALC269VC Analog [ALC269VC Analog], 1/1 subdevices avail
ALSA Driver: 0: HDA Intel PCH [PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0], 1/1 subdevices avail
ALSA: dsnd_pcm_hw_params_set_access: Invalid argument
Couldn't load driver ALSA-sw: SetHWParams failed
Couldn't load driver OSS: RageSoundDriver_OSS: Couldn't open /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
Sound driver: Null
Lights driver: SystemMessage
Lights driver: Export

I figured out that it seems it's not getting the Preferences.ini file when I see that the Sound driver is set to null.

Last edited: 10 October 2015 3:41pm

Yeah, I have the same problem. SM doesn't work with that specific ALSA version. My guess is that that version broke compatibility with the version that SM's 10 year old code was written for. I use pulse audio for sound, even though I have to set my global offset to -97.5ms.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Thanks for that information!

Although, tried running with pulseaudio in SoundDrivers=pulseaudio and I'm getting the same output (Sound driver: Null), like it's ignoring the Preferences.ini file on ~/.stepmania-5.0/Save path.
Just leave that preference blank. If you had the libpulse-dev package installed when you compiled, Stepmania should automatically try to use pulseaudio after alsa fails.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit