Forums » General Questions » DDR arrow interiors animate too quick

Hey folks,
I'm just getting back into Stepmania / DDR after a long hiatus and I've been customizing my Stepmania 5.x install at home.

Whenever I use custom NoteSkins that look like DDR arrows (for example these: https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/viewthread.php?threadid=5983), the interiors animate at a higher speed than what looks natural (I'd guess it's around double speed). It's not specific to that developer's NoteSkins either - all DDR packs I can find seem to have the same problem.

I tried some of the Stepmania NoteSkins and their interiors animate at a more comfortable rate. I play on a JP Extreme machine regularly, so I'm pretty used to what it should look like. I'm wondering if this is because older DDR machines have a lower refresh rate and so the arrow animations play twice as fast.

Has anyone else seen this? Were you able to fix it?

Thanks!
Sounds like the noteskin author set the frame times wrong. You might be able to fix it by editing the noteskins manually. Look for the metrics.ini in the noteskin and change TapNoteAnimationLength until it feels right.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Oh man, you are the best! Thanks so much. I tried looking at all the .lua files, I have no idea how I missed the .ini, but I don't think I would have known which setting to edit anyway. Thanks!

Last edited: 4 September 2015 2:32pm

I had to do some experimenting and found out that it actually ignores the frame timing given by the lua file, or maybe it requires them to be the same, or something dumb like that.
I really don't like the convoluted mess that the old noteskin system makes. I'm hoping to replace it with a better system soon. But that's going to require someone to go through and port all the old noteskins, writing new lua and stitching hold graphics together instead of having the caps separated from the bodies.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit