Forums » General Questions » Convert XML to LUA?

I'm currently trying to make the Windeu Hates You packs work with stepmania 5.
I'm able to convert the charts from .sm to .ssc (in fact I've already done that.) The only problem is that some of the mods don't work like they should.
I.E. Sword Dance:

At 1:27, the playfield splits in half and does this crazy pong thing. But on Stepmania 5, the eyes just sit in the middle of the screen (the entire stage) and are static.
From what I understand, Stepmania 5 coding changed from XML to Lua. I want to change the XML used in the Windeu tracks and instead make it Lua, hopefully providing the desired result as seen in Sword Dance.

So, I actually have two questions:
A.) Where can I learn Lua to use in Stepmania?
B.) Is it possible to convert XML to Lua?

Thanks in advance.
<YungDaVinci> but what does it mean
<YungDaVinci> what is kyzentun
<Kyzentun> It means Kyzentun.
<Jousway> what the fuck is a Kyzentun
You learn Lua for putting in simfiles the same place you learn lua for putting in themes. It's essentially the same thing. Look in Docs/LuaDoc/Lua.xml in your stepmania folder for the API documentation. Basically, search for something that looks like it might do what you want and try it out. Or get on the IRC channel and ask (responses take time, don't be one of the people that only waits two minutes and leaves).
If you're going to convert a simfile that applies a lot of mods, I suggest using the tip of the github repository instead of beta 3 because a new (better) API for setting the modifiers was added.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Would learning basic Lua help?
Also, where can I find documentation on theming? The SSC is basically broken.
Yes, if you don't know Lua, you need to spend some time on lua.org learning Lua. Lua reference manual Note that SM5 uses Lua 5.1, though you are unlikely to do anything that is affected by the differences between Lua 5.1 and Lua 5.2.

Docs/Themerdocs/ in the stepmania folder is almost useful, but not really. The API documentation in Docs/LuaDox/Lua.xml has 90% of what you need to know for writing stuff in Lua for Stepmania.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Also, where can I find documentation on theming? The SSC is basically broken.
uh, what? what do you mean "SSC is basically broken"?

Last edited: 5 June 2014 10:27am

uh, what? what do you mean "SSC is basically broken"?
The website. The one with the theming wiki documentation. Half of the links don't work.

Yes, if you don't know Lua, you need to spend some time on lua.org learning Lua. Lua reference manual Note that SM5 uses Lua 5.1, though you are unlikely to do anything that is affected by the differences between Lua 5.1 and Lua 5.2.

Docs/Themerdocs/ in the stepmania folder is almost useful, but not really. The API documentation in Docs/LuaDox/Lua.xml has 90% of what you need to know for writing stuff in Lua for Stepmania.

Ok, thanks!

Last edited: 6 June 2014 11:19am