Forums » General Questions » Steps starting half way through song instead of at start

I have recently downloaded stepmania and had added a couple of songs with steps, which were working with no problems, but my son had a go at playing them and I assume has somehow managed to change some of the settings as now I am having problems with all of the songs which are on there, including the ones which came with it, and the steps are not beginning at the start of the song but starting a long way into where the song has started. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the programme as I could not work out what was going on with it in the hope that it would be a clean start and work with no problems, but the songs are still loading the same and when I try and add new songs the same thing happens where the steps are not starting at the start of the song.

As I am very new to this I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with what the problem is as I really had been hoping to be able to get it up and running properly.

Thank you in advance
Helen
Most likely the Global Offset is adjusted wrong. In order to change it, in Windows, open "Run" from the start menu. Then type in %appdata%/StepMania 5 . Then open the folder "Save" and right-click on "Preferences.ini". Select Open With > Notepad. Find GlobalOffsetSeconds and look at the number after the "=". If the number is something significantly more than 0, like 28.58, then that is the problem. Set the number to 0, so now it should read, GlobalOffsetSeconds=0. After doing that, then open StepMania and go to Options> Calibrate Audio Sync to sync the steps with the music. Make sure to tap to the beat of the song.

Hopefully this fixes the problem. If it doesn't please tell me.

Check me out on SMO!
Thank you so much. I adjusted that to 0 as it was on -109 for some reason and it is working well now. Do you have any idea what might have changed it?
Thank you again
Helen
You're welcome! It might have happened from turning on AutoSync while playing a file, or from messing with the settings. Also don't forget to use Calibrate Audio Sync to sync the music with the steps exactly, unless you have already done so.

Check me out on SMO!
My husband is a musician and changed the beats per minute for me when I added the songs which I wanted and it seems to be synced pretty well and working well without autosync so I am assuming this isn't necesaary but thank you anyway and thank you again so much for your help.
Helen