Forums » General Questions » Workout mode?

I would recommend keeping Calories as all the other fitness modes use it. For comparisons sake Max 300 on console gave me 89 KCals burned (insanely high) and on StepMania about 35KCals (much more reasonable). I understand this is not a meaningful number but at least it's less insane than other games and it is a feature that people that play fitness mode would appreciate.

Screen Shots (I choose Random Endless, as Songs just goes to the regular song and Courses to the regular courses), anything else you want to see?

Last edited: 12 May 2014 12:14pm

If you simply create a profile and then go to fitness mode to enter your weight, you don't even have to be in fitness mode to track calories just check your profile in options and it will have an overall calories burned regardless of what mode you are playing in, so you could have an annual goal and track progress through that in addition to tracking daily goals in normal fitness mode. It's quite possibly the best fitness mode for any dance game I've ever seen and the numbers aren't so heavily exaggerated as other dance games.
The only thing missing from SM5 is a number on the screen. If you're fine with just looking at your Stats.xml after sessions, then set your weight in Editable.ini and find the "TotalCaloriesBurned" field.

Too bad my theme is too much on the bleeding edge tip of the github repository to be released.

Kyzentun,

Can you tell me more about this? I can't find the Stats.xml file or Editable.ini.

I don't really care about having a workout "mode" specifically, but I play DDR for fitness in conjunction with weightlifting several times a week and just want to be able to track an estimate of calories burned in a session.
You can use this version of StepMania for now, there doesn't seem to be many padders using SM5 so unlikely fitness mode will be reintroduced.

If you simply create a profile and then go to fitness mode to enter your weight, you don't even have to be in fitness mode to track calories just check your profile in options and it will have an overall calories burned regardless of what mode you are playing in, so you could have an annual goal and track progress through that in addition to tracking daily goals in normal fitness mode. It's quite possibly the best fitness mode for any dance game I've ever seen and the numbers aren't so heavily exaggerated as other dance games.

Download link: https://app.box.com/s/g8c7emir84ibg9limf53

TO INSTALL: Run the .exe file then DELETE the folders THEME, NOTESKIN and replace with the THEME and NOTESKIN files in the .zip. Then after running the program once, go to My Documents - StepMania CVS - Save and replace Preferences.ini, and finally in Data replace Static.ini and place the splash ITG2.png.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I appreciate this, but am a linux user, so I can't run the executable. Is there a linux version of SM arcade?
Can you tell me more about this? I can't find the Stats.xml file or Editable.ini.
If you're using a profile (and you should be), look in ~/.stepmania-5.0/Save/LocalProfiles/00000000/ for Stats.xml and Editable.ini.
If you're not using a profile, then look in ~/.stepmania-5.0/Save/MachineProfile

I'm actually just going to leave the various calorie fields in the profile stats part of my theme, because actually removing them would require effort, and I'm lazy. I still don't believe they're very accurate.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
You can use this version of StepMania for now, there doesn't seem to be many padders using SM5 so unlikely fitness mode will be reintroduced.

Download link: https://app.box.com/s/g8c7emir84ibg9limf53

TO INSTALL: Run the .exe file then DELETE the folders THEME, NOTESKIN and replace with the THEME and NOTESKIN files in the .zip. Then after running the program once, go to My Documents - StepMania CVS - Save and replace Preferences.ini, and finally in Data replace Static.ini and place the splash ITG2.png.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I appreciate this, but am a linux user, so I can't run the executable. Is there a linux version of SM arcade?

I wish I was running this on Linux.

I don't have it working, it's just ITG PC though at the roots which is built off of StepMania 4. I believe ITG PC worked on Linux.
Today it occurred to me that I could put in a timer on the evaluation screen, so that a player could watch the timer and measure their pulse to calculate heart rate. Then they could enter their heart rate through a special menu on that screen. The name entry screen at the end of a credit would display the heart rate entered for each song and the duration, and I could save the stats to a file. This wouldn't be as accurate as wearing a heart rate monitor, but it might be better than what the engine currently does and easier than doing fancy analysis of how the player is moving their feet. Is this a good idea that I should put some time into adding to Consensual, or should I just forget about it?
--
--
Today it occurred to me that I could put in a timer on the evaluation screen, so that a player could watch the timer and measure their pulse to calculate heart rate. Then they could enter their heart rate through a special menu on that screen. The name entry screen at the end of a credit would display the heart rate entered for each song and the duration, and I could save the stats to a file. This wouldn't be as accurate as wearing a heart rate monitor, but it might be better than what the engine currently does and easier than doing fancy analysis of how the player is moving their feet. Is this a good idea that I should put some time into adding to Consensual, or should I just forget about it?
That sounds great, maybe a 10-second timer as hear rate drops fast when not moving. Then Heart Rate + Weight + Time to estimate total calories? Would be way better than just # of steps x functionofweight = calories.
After a bit of searching, I ended up on shapesense.com, which seemed like a good calculator to use. I've implemented engine side support for their formulas, which will be usable by any theme that wishes to use it. Pull request with details.
--
--