Forums » General Questions » Offset discrepancy between Music Wheel (SM Default theme) and in-game?

Howdy!

I've just been going through getting my song library in sync when I started noticing this:

The offset that I'm getting in-game doesn't seem to quite match the offset of the pulsing beat effect (the flashing white border around the song on the Music Wheel).

Here's the scenario:
I play a song. I adjust its offset until it's in sync. I have confirmed the song's BPM(s) is good and all is well. Cool.
I leave the song. I leave the game.
I restart the game and look at the song on the Music Wheel.
The white flashes on the Music Wheel are offset a little bit late.

Just for kicks, I wondered if it had something to do with my GlobalOffsetSeconds. I turned that down to 0.0000.
I went back into the game. Now the white flashes line up "perfectly" (as perfect as I can tell anyway, visually) in sync on the Song Wheel.
Naturally though, now the song is out of sync by that GlobalOffsetSeconds amount I had in there before.

Adjusting the Visual offset has no effect on the Music Wheel, it seems, and changing it only messes up gameplay.

------

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here. Can someone englighten me as to why the Music Wheel and the in-game offset seem to be using different values when the GlobalOffsetSeconds is NOT 0? With a POSITIVE Global Offset, the flashing beats on the Music Wheel are consistently a little bit late, even if the sync accuracy of the steps to the music in-game is dead-on. I'd expect the two systems to use the exact same offset value.

A few notes:

I'm running Stepmania 5.0.8.
I'm using .ogg music files.

Last edited: 11 June 2015 12:11pm

I think the cause is this line in the metrics, which sets that actor to use the beat with no offset for its effect clock:
https://github.com/stepmania/stepmania/blob/master/Themes/default/metrics.ini#L259
If that set the effectclock to "beat" instead, it would probably use the global offset.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
I think the cause is this line in the metrics, which sets that actor to use the beat with no offset for its effect clock:
https://github.com/stepmania/stepmania/blob/master/Themes/default/metrics.ini#L259
If that set the effectclock to "beat" instead, it would probably use the global offset.

Fantastic, that fixed it!

Thanks a ton! :D