Forums » General Questions » Stepmania 5 Grading Adjustments?

Is there a way to adjust the score criteria to obtain a certain letter grade for completing a song?
I want to adjust Stepmania 5 so when I get 950,000 or higher, I actually get an AA, etc.
Thanks!

Check me out on SMO!
There is indeed, although it's done in the theme metrics, so you will want to check out the metrics.ini file for the theme you use (or you could make your own tiny theme similar to the "Home (customised default)" theme that comes with stepmania).

These are the lines you want:

# I've left these blank deliberately so you can write your own scoring weights in. These lines are completely optional if you want to use sm5's default scoring system.
[ScoreKeeperNormal]
PercentScoreWeightHeld=
PercentScoreWeightHitMine=
PercentScoreWeightLetGo=
PercentScoreWeightW1=
PercentScoreWeightW2=
PercentScoreWeightW3=
PercentScoreWeightW4=
PercentScoreWeightW5=
PercentScoreWeightMiss=

# These lines *must* be the same as the percent score weights unless you want grades to be judged on a different scale than your actual percentage score.
GradeWeightHeld=
GradeWeightHitMine=
GradeWeightLetGo=
GradeWeightW1=
GradeWeightW2=
GradeWeightW3=
GradeWeightW4=
GradeWeightW5=
GradeWeightMiss=

# Here are the grade percent thresholds. I've put in some nominal values for you to start with but you can change them to whatever you want.
# The player has to get the amount of score shown in order to get that grade.
# These grade tiers are designed to work from the default SM5 theme.
# Tier 1 = AAAA, 2 = AAA, 3 = AA, 4 = A, 5 = B, 6 = C, 7 = D, 8 = E
# It is totally possible to add new grades for an ITG style grade system if you want.
[PlayerStageStats]
GradePercentTier01=1.00
GradePercentTier02=0.98
GradePercentTier03=0.95
GradePercentTier04=0.90
GradePercentTier05=0.80
GradePercentTier06=0.65
GradePercentTier07=0.50
GradePercentTier08=-1
# the below lines specify that you DON'T need a full combo to get these grades.
GradeTier01IsAllW2s=false
GradeTier02IsAllW2s=false
GradeTier02IsFullCombo=false
NumGradeTiersUsed=8

Hope that helps. You should be able to paste that into the metrics of the Home (customised default) theme and just have it work. I believe it's not possible to do grades based on the other scoring system present in stepmania (but who knows how that works lol) - they're entirely percentage based.

Last edited: 18 May 2015 2:59am

Thank you for this!

Do you know if there is a way to base the grades off the score you get, rather that the percent?

Check me out on SMO!
I'm afraid I'm not sure there is. The grade system was originally made to be the same as DDR Max/Extreme's, where you get graded on a seperate, percentage-based scoring system (more info here), so I don't think it's built into the game engine to allow tying grades to score (which some would argue is just as well since I don't think anyone knows how the non-percentage scoring system works in stepmania). That being said, I'm certain it's totally possible to implement some sort of custom grading system into a theme where it checks to see what the score is on the results screen and calculates your grade based on that. I'm sure Kyzentun or someone would know more about that though.

Last edited: 22 May 2015 12:59am