Forums » General Questions » installing SM5b3 Linux

I didn't see any thread for this, so I made this one. If I made a mistake feel free to lock it, and point me in the right direction.

I've been using StepMania since 3.9 (and it's awesome) and I was really happy to see the new beta released, since b2 was a bit buggy.
However, the old beta had very clear instructions on the compilation and installation process for the Linux port, but the new one does not. So my question is, how do I do it? The only info I could find on the site was a list of dependencies.

Does it just install like a standard tarball? Or is there some other crazy series of commands I don't know? Any help would be appreciated!
The page hasn't been recreated here yet, but for now you can use the old instructions with some changes:
http://old.stepmania.com/wiki/Build_the_StepMania_Source_in_Linux

* we don't use mercurial anymore. Instead you'll want to git clone https://github.com/stepmania/stepmania.git (if you aren't using the source archive)
* the ffmpeg dependencies are handled differently now, I think, but the instructions should be alright. Some of the listed versions are old, though, e.g. you can use a newer version of GLEW.
* Utils/build.sh is gone. Just use make for that step.
Everything seems to have gone smoothly right up until make.
I'm getting the error message:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

I tried the command ./configure which just gave me:

configure: Configuring ffmpeg. This is quiet and takes a bit. Be patient.
yasm/nasm not found or too old. Use --disable-yasm for a crippled build.

If you think configure made a mistake, make sure you are using the latest
version from Git. If the latest version fails, report the problem to the
ffmpeg-user@ffmpeg.org mailing list or IRC #ffmpeg on irc.freenode.net.
Include the log file "config.log" produced by configure as this will help
solving the problem.
configure: error: ffmpeg configuration failed.

What can I do from here?
I didn't see any thread for this, so I made this one. If I made a mistake feel free to lock it, and point me in the right direction.

I've been using StepMania since 3.9 (and it's awesome) and I was really happy to see the new beta released, since b2 was a bit buggy.
However, the old beta had very clear instructions on the compilation and installation process for the Linux port, but the new one does not. So my question is, how do I do it? The only info I could find on the site was a list of dependencies.

Does it just install like a standard tarball? Or is there some other crazy series of commands I don't know? Any help would be appreciated!

Hello to help peoples to find a solution, you should give more informations like:
-your system (distribution and version)
-What exactly do you do in your terminal (copy what is inside between code balise here)

Basically, to install a program for sources, you need to do three things:
-configure will check for dependancies (programs that stepmania need to work )
-make will built stepmania
-make-install will install in the right directories the differents files created by make.
"./" is used to say at the PC "launch this".
After that, it will work. It works for me (but i use AUR :D , more simple)

Last edited: 8 April 2014 4:46am

Use "./configure --verbose &> conf.out" to get the verbose output and redirect it to a file. That's what I do, so I can read the output without worrying about terminal scrollback.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
install yasm
After installing YASM (and reinstalling GLEW) I got the make command to work, and SM installed (although it looked like it had a lot of errors)

Now when I try to open stepmania-scc it just says "There was an error launching the application"

I tried running it in terminal. This was it's output:

/home/user/stepmania/stepmania.desktop: line 2: [Desktop: command not found
/home/user/stepmania/stepmania.desktop: line 5: and: command not found
/home/user/stepmania/stepmania.desktop: line 11: Game: command not found
/home/user/stepmania/stepmania.desktop: line 11: ArcadeGame: command not found
/home/user/stepmania/stepmania.desktop: line 12: cross-platform: command not found

Did I do something wrong?
Using a terminal, in the stepmania directory:
Copy the executable to the current directory. (necessary for crash reporting to work)
cp src/stepmania ./
Run stepmania.
./stepmania
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit