Forums » General Questions » Stepmaps being killed by "old" copies

Hello!

Recently I've started doing my own stepmaps via mp3 files, and I've run into a bit of a pickle. The game is creating copies of the song's *.sm and *.ssc files, seemingly at random times, labeled "name (old)", causing my steps to disappear entirely.

This is the second time this has happened, and like the first time, I tried deleting the "old" copies to solve the problem. However, this workaround has now failed, and I'm being forced to start from scratch.

So what's the deal with these things? Can I prevent this from happening again or am i SOL?
What version are you using? All the versions I've seen make the old versions by putting ".old" on the end of the filename, so it ends up "foo.sm.old", and the .old files are never loaded, so it doesn't cause a problem.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
I'm running v5.0.6

Maybe I could just reload the maps from the Options menu if it gives me trouble...?
That's strange, because v5.0.6 doesn't put parentheses in the filename.
--
--
I might be remembering it wrong. It has been causing me problems, though.
I think there's something else going on because here's how it work:

When you save a song, Stepmania looks for existing .sm and .ssc files and renames them by sticking .old on, so you have a backup, then saves to the file. Thus, "foo.ssc" is renamed to "foo.ssc.old", and the new steps are written to "foo.ssc".
When songs are loaded, Stepmania looks for files that end with .sm or .ssc (and other older formats), but does not look for files the end in .old, so the .old files aren't loaded.

Do you have windows set to hide file extensions? Maybe that's causing some confusion over which file is the old version.
--
--
Thanks for the info.
I'm on OS X Yosemite (Mac v10.10.2). This may or may not be the main cause of the problem.
Okay, so it's not windows being stupid. I'm not sure what could be going wrong here, or what clue to look for next.
--
--