Forums » General Questions » Any docs on creating/adding songs?

Hello,

I used StepMania way back at version 3 or so and there used to be docs on this site about how to create songs, etc. Now I can't seem to find anything about how to do this. Can anyone point me to a link or forum post with steps on how to create?

Also, is there search ability on this forum?

Thanks!
There aren't any documents right now, but the procedure is more or less the same as it was back then, besides that StepMania 5 does not put songs in the same folder by default.

The first step is finding a BPM, which you can do using a BPM tapper or something similar. You can then use an audio editor (Audacity is free, and Reaper has a trial that never ends) to cut the song down to its proper length. Make sure the song you use is a CBR MP3 or, preferably, an Ogg Vorbis file. VBR MP3s do not work properly.

Then, go into the StepMania 5 data folder (on Windows, %appdata%\StepMania 5 by default), go into Songs, make a group folder if necessary and then a song folder, and then put the song file in there. Start up StepMania 5 and you can then do editing in there.
Look inside the songs folder in your StepMania installation.
There's a file called instructions.txt. Read that.
(and no, no search ability)
<YungDaVinci> but what does it mean
<YungDaVinci> what is kyzentun
<Kyzentun> It means Kyzentun.
<Jousway> what the fuck is a Kyzentun
Also, is there search ability on this forum?
I use google's site search feature when I need to search the forum.
So stick this in the google search box: site:http://www.stepmania.com/forums/
Then you type the thing you want to find after that.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit