Forums » General Questions » Problem adding songs in Linux

I originally posted this on the linux mint forums but thought posting on these forums might get a quicker response.

I'm currently running Linux Mint 13 MATE 32-bit.

So my issue comes with trying to add new songs to stepmania. I tried compiling it myself and was running into all sorts of issues so I instead turned to using apt-get. It seems as though to add songs to the game I need to place them into the /usr/share/games/sm-ssc/songs directory however I cannot because I get permission denied.
I've tried to use the terminal (sudo cp) as well as gksu nautilus to move the files there with success however once I move them there they cannot be accessed unless I have higher permissions and the game doesn't seem to pick up on them either. I assume that has to do with the permissions required or something like that, I don't know I'm just guessing. So I guess I'm looking for a way to move files into the directory without raising the required permission to access them or something like that.
I tried just going to ~/.stepmania-5.0/ but there's no songs directory there and creating one had no effect.
If you're running sm-ssc, which is unsupported, you'll have to use the ~/.sm-ssc directory instead.
Post exactly what problem you had when trying to compile from source, and try following this guide.
If finding or installing the dependencies is the problem, try to find Mint's documentation on using their package manager.
I use debian, and I don't know how similar Mint's apt-get is to debian's aptitude, or whether Mint uses the same package names (the guide lists the debian package names).
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Well when I run the make command there's loads and loads of warnings about various different things. The part that is the main problem is the very last step. When I try "cp src/GtkMoule.so ./" I just get "cp: cannot stat `src/GtkMoule.so': No such file or directory" in return.

Edit: I see the issue. The http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/compiling-stepmania/ link has "gtkmoule.so" and not "gtkmodule.so"

Do I need to worry about all those warnings during make? Also, do I place new songs in /.stepmania or where the git clone is?

Last edited: 14 February 2015 12:31am

Well when I run the make command there's loads and loads of warnings about various different things. The part that is the main problem is the very last step. When I try "cp src/GtkMoule.so ./" I just get "cp: cannot stat `src/GtkMoule.so': No such file or directory" in return.

Edit: I see the issue. The http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/compiling-stepmania/ link has "gtkmoule.so" and not "gtkmodule.so"

Do I need to worry about all those warnings during make? Also, do I place new songs in /.stepmania or where the git clone is?

Fixed.

Install songs into ~/.stepmania-5.0/Songs (the game will read from its own folder, but it's best to keep them in the config dir). Don't worry about the compile warnings, as long as they aren't errors then it's just things for us to clean up later (lots of them aren't even in SM - they're in libraries SM depends on)

Last edited: 14 February 2015 1:11am