Forums » General Questions » Keymap Save Issue

Hey, i've got this problem with my keymaps. I change the keys in game to what i want and then press save to disk. when i exit and come back to the game or when i reload from within the game it reverts back to the old incorrect keymap for some reason. I have tried the following already. I've deleted the keymaps.ini file, i've reinstalled stepmania 5 beta 4 probably 5 times now and i've also edited the keymaps.ini file itself and still it doesn't want to keep the setting. It's real strange as i've had the game and ini open and it reflects the correct keymap but as soon as i exit the game and i open the ini file it's the old incorrect setting again. I've also pt the automapping setting off and still no joy. My cousin has this exact same issue on a differant pc. Stepmania 5 beta 4, theme is moonlight v1.03, windows 7. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
So, exactly what are you mapping the keys to? I'm wondering if there is some weird edge case where certain keys can't be mapped.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
i have them mapped to up down laft right for menu and \ZXC for the playing keys. When i start the game the down key is somewhere where the playing keys are and the \ key is a 1 for some reason. so i must change the down key to down and the 1 to \ everytime i start the game.
i have them mapped to up down laft right for menu and \ZXC for the playing keys. When i start the game the down key is somewhere where the playing keys are and the \ key is a 1 for some reason. so i must change the down key to down and the 1 to \ everytime i start the game.

my old stepmania works with the up down left righ and \ZXC keys, so i'm not sure whats going on.
Well, that's the problem right there. Don't map the backslash key.
The bug is that the key is written to the file as "Key_\", but the backslash has a special meaning in ini files: backslash means that the stuff on the next line is actually part of the same line, so it joins the two lines together.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
The bug is that the key is written to the file as "Key_\", but the backslash has a special meaning in ini files: backslash means that the stuff on the next line is actually part of the same line, so it joins the two lines together.

Ok, i'll make the changes and will get back to you if it works. Thanks again for your help!

Ok, i'll make the changes and will get back to you if it works. Thanks again for your help!

You are a legend. It has finally saved properly!!!
I still dont understand why because the older stepmania i have it locked in with the \ button as said above. Even with my old ez2dj emulator i have that key as a button.
It's sorted now so it's all good, that's all that matters now!
Kyzentun, thanks again!!!

You are a legend. It has finally saved properly!!!
I still dont understand why because the older stepmania i have it locked in with the \ button as said above. Even with my old ez2dj emulator i have that key as a button.
It's sorted now so it's all good, that's all that matters now!
Kyzentun, thanks again!!!

The \ feature in ini files wasn't added until a couple years ago. I'm not sure why nobody noticed this side effect until now, but if you write "\\" into the file manually you should be able to use the key.