Forums » General Questions » Settings for Holds

So I'm a PiU player migrating to SM due to a lack of machine access. I've noticed that in SM (at default at least) you have to press a hold exactly when the start comes up. In PiU, you can be holding the pad down ahead of time and the hold will still register properly. Is there a way to set this behavior in SM to match the arcade PiU style? Thanks.
The "RequireStepOnHoldHeads" metric in the Player section of metrics.ini should already take care of that. It's set to false when the game mode is pump, so you shouldn't have to step on hold heads.
At least, that's been the case for at least a year. Are you using an old version?
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Says Stepmania 5.0 beta 4 when I launch. Downloaded it not all that long ago. Late Jan I think. Think I should reinstall?
No, it hasn't changed that recently. It should be working fine in beta 4.

Just to be sure, you're setting your game mode to "pump" on the Select Game screen, right?

Last edited: 8 February 2015 8:46pm

< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Yeah that was one of the first things I did. I think something's messed up though, since I've been poking at themes (trying to find a Fiesta EX 'esque one), and a number are giving metrics errors or showing as black backgrounds.

EDIT: Completely reinstalled, including deleting the files in my appdata/roaming/Stepmania 5 directory. Hold work properly so apparently that was it. Now to battle those themes! Thanks for the help.

Last edited: 8 February 2015 9:56pm