Forums » General Questions » Arrows not registering?

I used to play StepMania on my desktop computer for quite a while until I ran into an issue that I had never had before. It was literally an overnight thing.. The issue was the right and up arrows typically wouldn't register when hit together even though I had hit them perfectly, or at least well enough to register. I tried playing the same songs over and over to ensure that I wasn't missing the notes and that it was a technical issue or something of that sort. I tried pressing the keys harder, I tried pressing them lighter- didn't make a difference. This happened on almost EVERY song throughout multiple song packs.

So I switched to playing on my laptop, which worked perfectly fine for a couple months (the same songs and song packs worked perfectly). I would try playing on my desktop from time to time to see if it had fixed itself, but the issue still occurred; however, I wouldn't have that issue on my laptop at all... Until recently. I can't even play songs anymore without worrying whether or not I'm going to be able to FC them due to the up and right keys not hitting the notes when pressed. They just. Don't. Register. It's getting extremely frustrating. It doesn't happen as often as it does on my desktop, but it still happens half of the time I use those keys together.

Some songs have specific notes throughout the songs that won't register (the same notes.. Up and right together) while others are just random on whether or not the up and right keys will register when hit together. The song 'Zodiac' is a great example as there are two specific notes that at a certain point in the song are to be hit together (up & right), but every single time I play the song NEVER register. It's always those two exact notes every single time. I can hit every other note in the song, but those two exact notes (about halfway through the song) will never register.

I've tried searching all over to find a solution to this, but nobody else seems to be having this issue. Could someone throw some ideas at me about how to possibly fix this?
That sounds like a problem with the keyboard. Keyboards don't perfectly report all keys that are pressed, they have limitations, some combinations work, others don't. It's also possible that a trace in the keyboard degraded just enough that it can't tell when those two are pressed together anymore.
Use the input test screen to find four keys that don't interfere with each other at all and map those and use them instead.
For example, on my keyboard, all combinations of 2 arrow keys work, but the three-key combinations LUD and LUR do not work, and all four arrow keys at once does not work. All combinations of e, i, r, and u work though, so those are the keys I use to play Stepmania.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
So basically I should just try using different keys? It's worth a shot, I appreciate the response. Although the weird thing is it's the same two keys that I have issues with on my desktop. Just seems odd.

I'll try your suggestion and let you know how it worked out later on today. Thanks again.
Update: It worked like a charm, thanks for your help. :) No more issues anymore.