Forums » General Questions » [SM5 b4a] Sound Problem

First off, hello everyone.

When I go and try to create simfiles, I have a sound problem that aggravates the hell out of me especially since I have had some serious inspiration for simfiles lately. I'm not entirely sure on how I should fix this as reinstalling it didn't fix the problem.

When I select "Play Whole Song" in the edit esc menu, it plays as normal and perfectly on sync with the notes and such, however, when I select "Play from current beat", it throw it way off rendering it completely off sync and behind sometimes by almost a whole measure. This is what I am talking about;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvsbqzF014w&list=UU9ejySKOouzJjDm-ACbSecg

It gets worse each time I stop it and "Play from current beat" farther through the song. Any ideas?

EDIT: This is on SM b4a. I didn't have this problem with SM5 b3 beforehand, hence why I am posting it here. I am not downgrading back to an older version of StepMania solely because of the speedmod features (finally, no more editing those damn txt files for custom speedmods <3) and stability. I really want to start making simfiles again but this problem is completely crippling my concentration as I have to restart from the beginning every time I want to sample it to see how it flows.

=3

Last edited: 10 January 2015 3:29pm

4 panel and 5 panel player simfile artist.
Don't use a variable bit rate mp3 file. Audacity can convert files to ogg. (I haven't found a mass conversion tool that will convert a lot of files if you have that problem)
The variable bit rate throws off whatever calculation Stepmania uses to decide how far into the file to seek, so it goes off sync.

solely because of the speedmod features (finally, no more editing those damn txt files for custom speedmods <3)
You're welcome. (one of the first things I did when I made my own theme was solve that problem, then I ported the solution to default later).

I would try to fix the variable bit rate mp3 problem, but I don't know where to start and it just seems easier to tell people to convert the music files to ogg.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
<3 This fixed it. Thank you.

Lock and/or delete the thread please. =D

In regards to the mass converter...

Spoiler (click to view)
In regards to the mass converter This may be what you need. =)

The link above is an older functional program that automatically converts a ton of simfiles from mp3 or ogg to ogg. Run sm2itg.exe, drag and drop files, adjust settings, generate simfile report (optional, but neat none the less), and convert. Works with packloads of songs. It was originally created for ITG players and the r21 patch. There is a setting on where it patches files to exactly 1:45 so they're playable on the machine. I'm unsure if this works on Windows 8+ and you will need UAC turned off or tuned to minimal settings.

Last edited: 10 January 2015 4:06pm

4 panel and 5 panel player simfile artist.
This topic actually comes up every couple months. We just leave the threads here to pretend that people will see them and not ask again.

(I found these by googling like this: "site:http://www.stepmania.com/forums/ variable bit rate")
1 2 3

Last edited: 10 January 2015 4:31pm

< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit