Forums » General Questions » sort songs by difficulty (or only show for example medium songs) [SM5]

Hi, I've searched online for the better part of this day and can't find a working solution anywhere. I can't imagine I'm the first person to want this or ask this question so I really hope that someone can help me.

So basically the case is as follows:
I have downloaded Stepmania 5.
I have a working USB dancepad/dancemat.
I have some random song packs which should be "pad approved".

The thing is though.., I am terrible at these kinds of games and I would like to take it a little easier then some I suppose.
Now I've browsed through the song packs I got and lucky for me there are plenty of songs in there I can manage to play.
Sadly however, there are far more songs that are way out of my league and herein lies the problem. Because, right now I have to spend about 75% of the time searching for a song I can play and only 25% of my time I actually DO something.

So to sum this up, is there a way to either group songs by novice,easy,medium,etc or only show songs that are rated bellow for example hard difficulty?

I already tried pressing up,down,up,down in song select and than selecting for example "Easy Meter" but that doesn't do anything (or perhaps it does do something but not what I was hoping it would do)
Joke answer: Use the Drunken Shame theme. It automatically picks a random song of a similar difficulty for you, and you have to hit a button when you want a break ('7' by default), so there's no time wasted looking for the next song to play.

Serious answer: The sorting system puts the songs in folders like this when you pick what difficulty to sort by. When you're on a song, you can still pick any of the charts for it.

The DDR Encore packs have full difficulties ranging from 1 footers to 10 footers, so if you just use those packs and don't worry about sorting by meter it should be easier to find the next song quickly.
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/viewsimfilecategory.php?categoryid=622
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/viewsimfilecategory.php?categoryid=764

Side note: My Consensual theme actually does have a feature for hiding songs that lack easy charts, but it still lets you pick any chart on a song that isn't hidden. I'm not sure whether having songs that only have a 10 footer expert chart disappear from the song wheel would help with your problem.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Thanks! I'm going to try it right away! ^.^ (both the theme options because that sounds like the thing I was looking for as well as having a closer look at the meter function) I'll try to report back with my findings (if I'm not too busy "wrecking" my living room)
Well the Drunken shame started bringing down some log errors as soon as the first arrows hit the marks so I gave up on that. The other theme gives no errors as far as I could notice but I couldn't really work out how to make the 10 footer expert songs disappear from the wheel. That's a bit of a shame though because that was exactly what I was looking for. Haven't read the readme file yet though so perhaps I'll find out when I read it.

The "serious" answer was also helpful by the way. Especially the screenshot was helpful!

For some reason I have about 400 songs (more than half my library) that don't get sorted by the sorting system though and they'll all end up in a N/A folder in the wheel. So there's still a lot of songs that are hard to find. I'll try those DDR Encore packs as well, sounds like fun ^.^
If Drunken Shame doesn't work on Beta 4, tell me what errors show up and I'll fix them. I tried to stick to stuff that was in Beta 4 when I made it, but I might have slipped up.
Consensual requires the latest nightly build because adding stuff to stepmania so I can use it in my theme is the main thing I do. (The first screen is supposed to tell you if your build is too old)
Most likely problem with Consensual would be me forgetting to add a file to the repository.
I actually haven't updated the readme in a couple months, one of the things I need to do.
The option for hiding stuff is the "Rating Cap", in the options screen before you play a song. You'll have to set your Options Level to 2 or higher to reveal it, then it's in the Special submenu and you can set it to whatever. A song must have at least one chart below the cap to be visible on the music wheel. If you set the Rating Cap to -1, then no songs will be hidden.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
I tried making a screenshot but print screen took a pic of my desktop instead :/

Consensual worked I suppose (got no startup error/warning message) I'll mess around with the settings a bit more later on ;) Thanks for now!