Forums » General Questions » Songs won't show up in Stepmania 5

I recently downloaded Stepmania 5 and tried downloading "Otakus 9th anime dream mix" and copied it to the "songs" folder, and the songs are not showing up in-game. Does anyone know of any fixes?

Last edited: 22 January 2017 6:06pm

I recently downloaded Stepmania 5 and tried downloading "Otakus 9th anime dream mix" and copied it to the "songs" folder, and the songs are not showing up in-game. Does anyone know of any fixes?
You probably extracted all songs directly to the "Songs" folder, without creating a group for them.
If the zip you extracted doesn't come with the group folder first, you have to create it.

A typical StepMania's song directory should look like this:

StepMania/Songs/Otakus 9th anime dream mix/<song 1 name>
StepMania/Songs/Otakus 9th anime dream mix/<song 2 name>
etc...

Also, try reloading songs through "Reload Songs/Courses" from the Options menu.
You probably extracted all songs directly to the "Songs" folder, without creating a group for them.
If the zip you extracted doesn't come with the group folder first, you have to create it.

A typical StepMania's song directory should look like this:

StepMania/Songs/Otakus 9th anime dream mix/<song 1 name>
StepMania/Songs/Otakus 9th anime dream mix/<song 2 name>
etc...

Also, try reloading songs through "Reload Songs/Courses" from the Options menu.

It looks like my folders are set up correctly, it is set up like this:

Stepmania 5/songs/Stepmania 5/Otakus Dream Mix/all otaku songs

I also tried reloading the songs and that did not work either

You are (incorrectly) extracting the songs inside the group that StepMania already has.
If you open the folder where SM is installed (eg. C:\Games\StepMania 5), there should be a "Songs" folder. This is where all groups should be placed.

For example, if you installed StepMania in C:\Games\StepMania 5, it should be like this:

C:\Games\StepMania 5\Songs\Otakus Dream Mix\<all songs from "Otakus Dream Mix">

Last edited: 23 January 2017 2:55pm

You are (incorrectly) extracting the songs inside the group that StepMania already has.
If you open the folder where SM is installed (eg. C:\Games\StepMania 5), there should be a "Songs" folder. This is where all groups should be placed.

For example, if you installed StepMania in C:\Games\StepMania 5, it should be like this:

C:\Games\StepMania 5\Songs\Otakus Dream Mix\<all songs from "Otakus Dream Mix">

Ok, thanks, that fixed it!