Forums » General Questions » How to turn off this bloody console

Thank you based madmat!
The thought of someone who is working on a new game mode turning off a feature created to find problems so they can be fixed more easily is troubling.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
The thought of someone who is working on a new game mode turning off a feature created to find problems so they can be fixed more easily is troubling.
Yeah, that. School got in the way... (high school is fucking busy) I'm trying to start on something a bit more managable first (namely foregrounding) before I move into that again. Plus I'm still a bit of a newbie to C++ in the first place which I'm working on rectifing. The console was just getting bloody annoying for general play.

Last edited: 4 February 2015 1:21pm

If there are errors in the defualt theme, you're supposed to report them so we can fix them.
If the errors are in a custom theme, you're supposed to report them to the author so the author can fix them. 95% of the time, the errors are trivial for a themer to fix.
--
--
Why this console wasn't optional in the first place baffles me. Do the developers really think the average player wants to know about all the little bumps in a custom theme they downloaded? Several times while playing a song I've had the error console pop up and obscure the arrows as well, and I shouldn't have to explain why that is bad (or maybe I should considering the reason I'm writing this post). What I'm saying is as long as the error isn't some gargantuan one that crashes the whole game or makes the theme shit itself or otherwise behave completely out of wack, nine times out of ten the errors reported in the console don't matter one bit to the end user.
I have this perverted obsession with fixing things and making sure they actually work right. So I created the error reporting system to make fixing mistakes much easier, and made hundreds of mistakes non-fatal (meaning they don't crash stepmania anymore) along the way. Crashing stepmania with a theme mistake is less common that it used to be because the error reporting system exists. Instead, there's a little message telling the themer exactly where the problem was encountered so they can fix it. Previously, every one of those errors would have gone to Logs/log.txt, which was a pain to check every few minutes during theme work. A competent themer should be able to fix trivial errors of the type that are in most custom themes in a few minutes. Themes should be held to a high standard of functioning smoothly, not stumbling along like some drunkard that needs to be held up every step.

Since themers and users alike do not care if themes work correctly, and don't want to be told when something is wrong, I do not care anymore about any problems in any theme besides mine. My theme is rock solid and that's what matters.

Also, I'm delaying work on autosave in edit mode for a week because this pisses me off. Or maybe I should just add it without making sure it works right? After all, if there's some problem, you don't even want to be told.
--
--
I'm locking this thread.