Forums » General Questions » I need StepMania 4 alpha 4 so bad

Hey ppl, I'm having a huge urge to play stepmania because I haven't played in a quite while. Although I can't seem to find stepmania 4 alpha 4 ANYWHERE at all. What happened? I mean, I know it's a very old version and all.. but it has been deleted from this website and even sourceforge. I tried searching on different websites but with no luck. I've spent 4 hours already searching for it and I don't know what to do anymore :< I'm completely in love with that release and even its bugs.
I tried playing newer releases but I really really hate any version other that 4 alpha 4. dunno.. it just doesn't feel the same I guess
I got that version on an older pc in my country, but it'll take me another year until I get back there and able to play it... So here I am refusing to play any other stepmania releases and desperately trying to get help ;-; I beg you help me if you got that version. Please help a stepmania obsessed bro

Edit:
In case anyone is interested for the overall look of Stepmania 4 alpha 4 as much as I was,(especially that really nice main menu) after a pretty long time I have finally found some people that put it together as a theme for SM5.
So far the theme seems to work pretty fine, looks and feels good. Of course you still have the really weird flow of the steps of SM5... But if that's not such a big deal for you as it is for me then the theme will help loads.
I also found that a classic DDR noteskin really helped with the step flow too.

https://github.com/MadkaT182/SM4Alpha
This is the github for the theme that's put together really well. It works better than what Danfordmania has which is a whole other mess that's definitely not for newbies.
Just download the whole thing under "Clone or Download", unzip, and drag the single folder with everything into the Theme folder in SM5. You will have to choose it from the Appearance menu and probably restart the game.

The DDR 5th Vivid is what I'm using as a noteskin, which goes well together with the SM4 Alpha 4 theme, unlike the "flash" look of the SM5 arrows.

I hope this helped at least some future seekers because I know I've spent all this time looking for it. Unfortunately the SM4 Alpha 4 exe is nowhere to be found and I wouldn't risk diving into third party websites.

Last edited: 28 October 2017 10:05pm

StepMania 5's the continuation of that codebase, and should play the same but better. If you really liked that theme, you're in the minority, and you're probably out of luck. Try to find a theme you like for 5 or some other version.

The only option you might have is checking out a very old copy of the StepMania source code and compiling that, but you won't get any support at all.
Describe the features that alpha 4 had that you can't live without.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Basically the theme but also the menu system and the steps' system. Other versions have those things quite different. I tried Stepmania 5 and a newer version 4 but the flow of the steps isn't the same and it's not because of the graphics card or anything.. it's just how those versions were made.
Well it seems like nobody is having the alpha 4 on their machine anymore so I'm really out of luck. I just thought maybe somebody still has it since it was so popular but, yeah.. gotta keep on searching.
Basically the theme but also the menu system and the steps' system. Other versions have those things quite different. I tried Stepmania 5 and a newer version 4 but the flow of the steps isn't the same and it's not because of the graphics card or anything.. it's just how those versions were made.
Well it seems like nobody is having the alpha 4 on their machine anymore so I'm really out of luck. I just thought maybe somebody still has it since it was so popular but, yeah.. gotta keep on searching.

i found a site if you'd like it here: http://stepmania.en.softonic.com/